Why I went Bare Bottom

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlike fish waste, snail waste doesn't break up and dissolve into the water column. It's like compressed wood pellets rolling around the bottom of the tank.
I took a large power head and placed it at one end of the bottom aimed at the other end of the tank and weekly I syphon all this poop that it pushes to one side.
I love my turbo snails but they make me work almost as much as them.

20210821_150533.jpg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlike fish waste, snail waste doesn't break up and dissolve into the water column. It's like compressed wood pellets rolling around the bottom of the tank.
I took a large power head and placed it at one end of the bottom aimed at the other end of the tank and weekly I syphon all this poop that it pushes to one side.
I love my turbo snails but they make me work almost as much as them.

20210821_150533.jpg
Really? Snail pop doesn’t breakup and dissolve into the water column. Can one then assume that the stuff doesn’t breakdown into ammonia and nitrate?

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Snail pop doesn’t breakup and dissolve into the water column. Can one then assume that the stuff doesn’t breakdown into ammonia and nitrate?
Everything breaks down, but compared to my two big depositors whose waste immediately starts to break apart and is in the water column within minutes, my snails whose waste also contains rock scrapings stays in the bottom for weeks at a time. Part of my weekly routine is syphoning that up. In the picture, that's one weeks worth and only part, the other part is in another corner.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any difference in the corals after you switched?
I started BB, I was away from the hobby a long time, but yrs ago I had limited success until I went BB.
This tank is only 8 months old and has only a handful of corals. Getting past the ugly stage is longer than if you had sand and live rock but IME BB worked for me and it's easier to maintain.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can one then assume that the stuff doesn’t breakdown into ammonia and nitrate?
I guess yes, it doesn't breakdown to ammonia and nitrate. I guess it does not contain much proteins or other forms of nitrogen. I guess it is mainly cellulose and other persistent polysaccharides that leave the snail or fish largely unaltered.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back