Will a UV sterilizer kill dianoflagnce

Whitley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a UV filter/ sterilizer kill dianoflagnce?
I have been dealing poorly I might add with dianoflagnce for over 8 weeks I've finally got my po4 to .25 ppm and nitrates at 2ppm I had been aggressively going after my po4 And nitrates thinking I was doing right but a week after hitting 0 my problem started and now dianoflagnce is overwhelming me.
So my numbers are
salinity 1.024
temp 79°
pH 8.1
AK 9dkh
Phosphate 0.25 ppm
Nitrates 2 ppm
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
That's all I can test for at the moment i add kalkkwaser to ATO my plan of attack going forward is reducing my light to 6 hr a day and running UV 24 hr a day till cleared up .
Any suggestions for me going forward would be most appreciated

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower the p04 to .1 and bring the n03 up to 5-10 (preferably 10) and start dosing bactor7 and keep adding calcium nitrate and Neophos to keep nutrients in check. You can also alternate with bactor clean every other day and cut the lights down to 6 hrs a day.

I had a huge fight with them as well and really didn't get much help here. I had to ask for help from my online shop and alge barn. They both helped a ton and I can say I'm 100% dino free. I found I had to triple the dose of bactor7 and supplement the additional nitrate and phosphate because bactor7 will drop the nutrients so testing daily was my key to giving the system enough bacteria to turn the tide on those dreaded things.

Upvote 0

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the dino leave the sand bed at night? If so then yes a proper sized UV will work but it takes a bit of time. My above post will also help in your fight, attack at a few different angles will help immensely. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes should help a lot but you also need to help the UV do its job, scrub the rocks as much as you can daily, vacuum the sand bed, you basically needs to remove as many as you can, the dinos that are in the water column will be taken care of by the UV, those that are on surfaces you need to either remove or get into the water column.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Whitley

Whitley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower the p04 to .1 and bring the n03 up to 5-10 (preferably 10) and start dosing bactor7 and keep adding calcium nitrate and Neophos to keep nutrients in check. You can also alternate with bactor clean every other day and cut the lights down to 6 hrs a day.

I had a huge fight with them as well and really didn't get much help here. I had to ask for help from my online shop and alge barn. They both helped a ton and I can say I'm 100% dino free. I found I had to triple the dose of bactor7 and supplement the additional nitrate and phosphate because bactor7 will drop the nutrients so testing daily was my key to giving the system enough bacteria to turn the tide on those dreaded things.
What is bactor 7 ? Is it like fritz zymes 9

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What phosphate test kit are you using? I have a feeling it's API.

And yes a UV will help if the dinoflagellates dissipate at night

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Whitley

Whitley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok. Does that read lower than 0.25 or does is the next lowest value 0?
It's a color chart and you are correct .25 is the lowest measurement I'm barely reading any color my dragons breath macro algy is pulling all the phosphates out it has basically stopped growing all together I was thinking the dianoflagnce that's coating it constantly was slowing it down

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a color chart and you are correct .25 is the lowest measurement I'm barely reading any color my dragons breath macro algy is pulling all the phosphates out it has basically stopped growing all together I was thinking the dianoflagnce that's coating it constantly was slowing it down

You need a better test. Phosphates are recommended to be between 0.03-0.10ppm

Upvote 0

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the idea is as you remove the dinos the bacteria you add takes over that space…whether that works I don’t know but shouldn’t hurt.
you nailed it, the bacteria populate and out compete the dino. Brightwell Microbactor 7 works really well but fritz 9 IMHO would be better as its got 9 strains vs Brightwells 7 strains. This is related to the question above on what bactor7 is.
What is bactor 7 ? Is it like fritz zymes 9
@Reef. nailed it, the bacteria populate and out compete the dino. Brightwell Microbactor 7 works really well but fritz 9 IMHO would be better as its got 9 strains vs Brightwells 7 strains. I had ordered Fritz 9 but was UN-deliverable thanks to amazons shotty packing practices. So I just stuck with Brightwell microbactor7 and brightwell Clean to rid the little buggers.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you nailed it, the bacteria populate and out compete the dino. Brightwell Microbactor 7 works really well but fritz 9 IMHO would be better as its got 9 strains vs Brightwells 7 strains. This is related to the question above on what bactor7 is.

@Reef. nailed it, the bacteria populate and out compete the dino. Brightwell Microbactor 7 works really well but fritz 9 IMHO would be better as its got 9 strains vs Brightwells 7 strains. I had ordered Fritz 9 but was UN-deliverable thanks to amazons shotty packing practices. So I just stuck with Brightwell microbactor7 and brightwell Clean to rid the little buggers.

Fritz zyme 9 is cycling bacteria. I don't think their population is related to dinos

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Whitley

Whitley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only if you have the prorocentrum variety. Get a microscope
I have a microscope ordered I believe it is in the dianoflagnce stays in the water I tried a blackout and when I uncovered it the water was full of free floating i did a 10 gal water change and sucked out all i could but after the lights came back on they came back everywhere

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%

Back