Will my clownfish host haddoni carpet nem

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, just ordered a carpet anemone. I have a mated pair of clowns (female is a picasso grade A, male is a black frostbite). I was wondering if they would host the carpet nem? Also how much of a risk is it to add the nem to a community reef? I have mixed sizes of fish. This is the nem and size info

A770451B-666C-4C7A-B41A-42B268613B6A.png

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until it eats the clownfish, anyway.
Oh great. Even with full grown clowns? Does that mean it will eat my tangs and triggers too?

Attachments

• 2EBCD75E-CF34-41F0-8264-C5768ABD94AA.jpeg
    2EBCD75E-CF34-41F0-8264-C5768ABD94AA.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 0F7803EA-D86C-4748-8FC3-35668E2762E7.jpeg
    0F7803EA-D86C-4748-8FC3-35668E2762E7.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 29
  • 1F26F5D8-B204-4F18-9C35-A09874B1CBD7.jpeg
    1F26F5D8-B204-4F18-9C35-A09874B1CBD7.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haddoni are def fish eaters even clowns.
Well crap! What should I do with it in? I didnt realize they were that predatory, I just thought it ate tiny fish. Does anyone keep them in reefs without it eating fish?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh great. Even with full grown clowns? Does that mean it will eat my tangs and triggers too?
If it's large enough, possibly. I had a condy anemone eat a stupid clown tang (which in hindsight, may not have necessarily been a bad thing).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey all, just ordered a carpet anemone. I have a mated pair of clowns (female is a picasso grade A, male is a black frostbite). I was wondering if they would host the carpet nem? Also how much of a risk is it to add the nem to a community reef? I have mixed sizes of fish. This is the nem and size info

A770451B-666C-4C7A-B41A-42B268613B6A.png
Mine did with no issues. I had to remove carpet as it was moving towards corals.

360g corals3.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do you think it would be okay to put in my 125? I dont want fish being eaten!
may be pushing it. I had mine in a 360g and it was already stinging coral with all that room I had

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't eat the clowns. There's a risk of it happening, but most clownfish are smart enough to slowly get acclimated to the anemone. An adult bonded pair is going to know to be careful, and the risk of being eaten is low. I can't say the same for your other fish. If they bump into it, it's game over. They'll probably avoid it when they can, but if they bump into it while asleep or after being startled, it'll get them. The yellow tang is going to be at the highest risk of your fish, they love to dash about without seeing where they're going. That being said, it won't go on a rampage and kill everything. Plenty of people have these, and don't have fish eaten very often. It might be a good idea to try and get it to stay out in the open on one end of the tank, that way the fish'll be able to keep away better. It could go in a nano tank, but as well as the clownfish, it'd be the only living thing. They can easily get to be 12" wide, and 18" isn't unheard of. I wouldn't try to keep them with other fish in a tank less than 4'. Good luck, they're very nice anemones otherwise.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't eat the clowns. There's a risk of it happening, but most clownfish are smart enough to slowly get acclimated to the anemone. An adult bonded pair is going to know to be careful, and the risk of being eaten is low. I can't say the same for your other fish. If they bump into it, it's game over. They'll probably avoid it when they can, but if they bump into it while asleep or after being startled, it'll get them. The yellow tang is going to be at the highest risk of your fish, they love to dash about without seeing where they're going. That being said, it won't go on a rampage and kill everything. Plenty of people have these, and don't have fish eaten very often. It might be a good idea to try and get it to stay out in the open on one end of the tank, that way the fish'll be able to keep away better. It could go in a nano tank, but as well as the clownfish, it'd be the only living thing. They can easily get to be 12" wide, and 18" isn't unheard of. I wouldn't try to keep them with other fish in a tank less than 4'. Good luck, they're very nice anemones otherwise.
may be pushing it. I had mine in a 360g and it was already stinging coral with all that room I had
Okay yeah I have a space I can try, its just on the opposite end of the tank from the clowns now. For some reason they all hang out on the right side and only the tangs swim through the other rock work on that side. And I really dont have that many corals, most of my corals are in my 70 gallon. Just got a few zoas, and a torch on the opposite side of where I would put the nem

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay yeah I have a space I can try, its just on the opposite end of the tank from the clowns now. For some reason they all hang out on the right side and only the tangs swim through the other rock work on that side. And I really dont have that many corals, most of my corals are in my 70 gallon. Just got a few zoas, and a torch on the opposite side of where I would put the nem

Sounds like a plan. It will move if it wants to, but it may stay where you put it if it likes the spot. They prefer medium-high flow, deep sand around 4" - 5", and medium-high lighting. Feeding it every now and then with chunks of shrimp/krill will keep it happy. Only feed when you're around to watch so you can keep the fish away. One of the most common ways that they catch a fish is if it tries to take food from the anemone. On the other hand, if you don't feed it, it'll be more likely to move, and more likely to eat fish that brush up against it. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan. It will move if it wants to, but it may stay where you put it if it likes the spot. They prefer medium-high flow, deep sand around 4" - 5", and medium-high lighting. Feeding it every now and then with chunks of shrimp/krill will keep it happy. Only feed when you're around to watch so you can keep the fish away. One of the most common ways that they catch a fish is if it tries to take food from the anemone. On the other hand, if you don't feed it, it'll be more likely to move, and more likely to eat fish that brush up against it. Hope this helps.
Ah okay! Yes I will try it. I hope my clowns are good with it. They have a BTA but keep harassing it and not feeding it (I give it food) and it is very not happy right now. I would move him if I could but he is way under a rock.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back