OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its making it so the dino arnt releasing toxins. Thats what kills off everything. Whats your phosphates and nitrates
0 Posph and nitrates about 5 i believe. Its the low phosphates thats currently the problem i believe

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe from the ocean
Dry rock turned to lr not cured in the ocean tend to have lower diversity and much easier to get dino. With that said dropping phosphates to zero is what did it for me. (I real rocks from the ocean.)
I ran heavy heavy gfo and dropped po4 to 0. Kept getting algea. Figured out it was dino fixed by dosing phosphates stopped all removal of po4. I also did all the steps I mentioned above.

The second time I set up a hob refugium and stripped phosphates ended up with dino again. Second treatment was the same as first.

* dosing phosphates*

Rocks and sand will absorb and all the coral. This will cause issues with algea latter down the road.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock turned to lr not cured in the ocean tend to have lower diversity and much easier to get dino. With that said dropping phosphates to zero is what did it for me. (I real rocks from the ocean.)
I ran heavy heavy gfo and dropped po4 to 0. Kept getting algea. Figured out it was dino fixed by dosing phosphates stopped all removal of po4. I also did all the steps I mentioned above.

The second time I set up a hob refugium and stripped phosphates ended up with dino again. Second treatment was the same as first.

* dosing phosphates*

Rocks and sand will absorb and all the coral. This will cause issues with algea latter down the road.
Ok. I will buy some phosphates to dose as well as some pods, either way something will get better then.
I also jsut scraped off like all the dinos from the glasses and scrubbed lots off the rocks. Now im only runnning UV sterilizer to try to kill off any free floating particles, and when I add water back slowly the stuff inthe sandbed stirs up so I use my net to take it out.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

* dosing phosphates*

I agree . !

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is a lot one can do. First is start running activated carbon. Stop all carbon dosing, gfo and nitrate reducing including cheato.

If phosphates and nitrates are at 0 need to get them up. There are several ways to do this each has a pro and con

Remove as much as possible. I do this through a 5 micron sock. I siphon out dino filter through the sock into a 5g bucket. Pour water back into tank or use a mj pump and pump water back into the tank. ( if using sump still use this method unless you know your pump can handle the extra water)

Uv can work with certain species. Some species go into the water column at night. These species are the most susceptible to uv. The others burrow into the sand and uv won't work.
So many people say a 5 micron filter sock but even BRS doesn't sell one. Where would I get a 5 micron sock??

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back