Will rust affect my tank?

Opticat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My algae scaper has rust on its blades{I don't have the type that has magnets on both sides, the blade is connected to a stick), I change the blades every month and use it 3 times a month when doing water change, however there's a small rust build up on the plastic that holds the blade. should I still use my scraper?

s-l300.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general answer depends, of course, on the materials that are rusting. Nothing used by hobbyists is pure iron.

It is probably OK if you do not leave it in the tank, and rinse it each time after use (the salts accelerate corrosion).

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general answer depends, of course, on the materials that are rusting. Nothing used by hobbyists is pure iron.

It is probably OK if you do not leave it in the tank, and rinse it each time after use (the salts accelerate corrosion).
Kind of what I was getting at with my cheeky reply about GFO. GFO is of course pure iron oxide.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how to answer that, but I probably have a dozen blades that I lost in my tank and are rusting in there or are completely disintegrated by now. I also have numerous screws and pieces of steel wire. I feel iron makes our tanks healthier to an extent.

If you dive, you will see way more corals growing on rusted shipwrecks than in the surrounding water.
Just my thoughts.

Back