will these fish work for a 20 gallon long?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All clowns are different, individuals will vary in aggression, so no one can say for sure how it will go in your tank, just give opinions from our experiences.

All solo clowns will be female.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All clowns are different, individuals will vary in aggression, so no one can say for sure how it will go in your tank, just give opinions from our experiences.

All solo clowns will be female.
should i add whatever clown i get, last to the tank as a precaution? ill so try and go for a smaller clown just to help.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any breed can work, it just seems that the regulars are least aggressive.
My pair didn’t work out, and I think it was partly due to a small tank. They do fine alone or in pairs, pairs tend to be more aggressive between each other and with the other fish.
just curious you said your pair didnt work due to tank size, how big was your tank?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just curious you said your pair didnt work due to tank size, how big was your tank?
13.5 gallons
20 long is bigger, but only by so much
There were a few factors I think:
Torch host died of bjd (due to hosting and stress of rescape)
Mocha female - classic occy male (mocha are meaner)
Small tank - no room to get away
Male simply not submitting

Pairs frequently work in this tank size and in 20 longs, just my personal experience leads me to not want to try in small tanks.

hailey1423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would something like a black oce or a snowflake be out of the question in that case?
and I wanted a pair as I've seen a lot about people saying their better and happier together. but now I'm not sure as some people are saying they'll get aggressive and such.
The designer clownfish always seem more aggressive, I have an extreme picasso clown and I can’t keep anything with it. A black ocellaris should also been fine just like the regular ocellaris. If you want to try a snowflake, it does not mean it would not work, every clown is different, it would just be riskier but could work.
would something like a black oce or a snowflake be out of the question in that case?
and I wanted a pair as I've seen a lot about people saying their better and happier together. but now I'm not sure as some people are saying they'llget aggressive and such.

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
wouldnt 2 clownfish get a bit territorial in a tank that small though?
Have 2 clowns in a 20 gallon. They host a frogspawn. Happy as can be. Also have a fire fish and had a yellow corus wrasse (got rid of him cause he’d cover my corals in sand) in the same tank. Sure clowns can be a little territorial, so if you get an aggressive fish he/she may bully others but I’ve never had that issue. Just watch them and if you need to make a change, do so.

I’ve previously had clowns in smaller tanks. Had a pair that spent 4 years in a 10 gallon. Happy and healthy as could be and laid eggs regularly.

Attachments

• 75BE90F7-3904-43D9-8128-A1E175906A32.jpeg
    75BE90F7-3904-43D9-8128-A1E175906A32.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 36

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back