Will this pond UV work on my 120 gallon tank?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly make this work, that's not an issue! :) With Oase products being predominantly made for fresh water, some materials may have a limited life span when exposed to salt water. But UV is UV- so from that perspective, you should have no issues!

What do you look to achieve from adding a UV steriliser to your setup?

OP
OP
EgotisticObeseChihuahua

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly make this work, that's not an issue! :) With Oase products being predominantly made for fresh water, some materials may have a limited life span when exposed to salt water. But UV is UV- so from that perspective, you should have no issues!

What do you look to achieve from adding a UV steriliser to your setup?
That’s good to hear! I’m looking to achieve clearer water with less debris because I have a lot of floating algae in my water at the moment. It seems that no matter how much mechanicle filtration I use I can’t get rid of the smaller pieces.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind, your UV will probably not to anything about 'debris' in the water. As for algae management using UV, you'll need a high turnover of water; what's your plan for plumbing?

For the price point you're looking at, it may be worth looking into UV sterilisers tried and tested in a saltwater environment. I am using a 55w Deltec one - similar priced to the Oase one that you are looking at.

What sort of mechanical filtration do you use? Might be a better place to start! :)

OP
OP
EgotisticObeseChihuahua

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind, your UV will probably not to anything about 'debris' in the water. As for algae management using UV, you'll need a high turnover of water; what's your plan for plumbing?

For the price point you're looking at, it may be worth looking into UV sterilisers tried and tested in a saltwater environment. I am using a 55w Deltec one - similar priced to the Oase one that you are looking at.

What sort of mechanical filtration do you use? Might be a better place to start! :)
The UV sterilizer I got from a broken down pond I used to own. If I do decide to use it then I will most likely replace the bulbs. As for my mechanical filtration I use 3, 4'' filter socks around 200 micron, but I switch to 15 micron once per week or bi-weekly. I also had sponges blocking bubbles from getting into my return chamber, but some bubbles make it past so I ordered more sponges to put there.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV sterilizer I got from a broken down pond I used to own. If I do decide to use it then I will most likely replace the bulbs. As for my mechanical filtration I use 3, 4'' filter socks around 200 micron, but I switch to 15 micron once per week or bi-weekly. I also had sponges blocking bubbles from getting into my return chamber, but some bubbles make it past so I ordered more sponges to put there.
For your water clarify, I'd look in to spending the money on a filter roller first over a UV! :)

Many great options out there, smart or no smart.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be worthwhile to tear down my sump to install a Filter mat?? I use the Aqueon 40 Gallon baffle kit.
That is ultimately up to you to determine, a UV will however do very little with regards to water clarity - so if that's the ultimate goal, then a roller mat of some sort would be a better way to go! :) A UV will have no effect on the particles that you describe as debris.

I personally do not chase ultimate water clarity much! I run my tank without any socks, or roller for that matter! :) I use a large, well lit refugium to keep my nutrients in check and a good size skimmer. That's it.

I do use a UV- but I use it for parasite control with low flow rate and high wattage. That is, in my opinion where a UV has it's place - but there's no right or wrong here! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
EgotisticObeseChihuahua

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is ultimately up to you to determine, a UV will however do very little with regards to water clarity - so if that's the ultimate goal, then a roller mat of some sort would be a better way to go! :) A UV will have no effect on the particles that you describe as debris.

I personally do not chase ultimate water clarity much! I run my tank without any socks, or roller for that matter! :) I use a large, well lit refugium to keep my nutrients in check and a good size skimmer. That's it.

I do use a UV- but I use it for parasite control with low flow rate and high wattage. That is, in my opinion where a UV has it's place - but there's no right or wrong here! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I was under the impression that UV can kill small particles like floating detritus in the water. How is no mechanical filtration going for you??

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that UV can kill small particles like floating detritus in the water. How is no mechanical filtration going for you??
No mechanical filtration (minus the skimmer!) is going very well, never been happier with my tank! No, the water is not crystal clear as it would be with a filter roller, I do have come floating particles in the water (mostly micro organisms for my fish to feed on).

My refugium makes up more than half of my sump volume and is lit with 2 x Kessil A160 lights. As a result, i consistently have low NO3 and PO4 levels and are dosing both to maintain within desired range.

OP
OP
EgotisticObeseChihuahua

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mechanical filtration (minus the skimmer!) is going very well, never been happier with my tank! No, the water is not crystal clear as it would be with a filter roller, I do have come floating particles in the water (mostly micro organisms for my fish to feed on).

My refugium makes up more than half of my sump volume and is lit with 2 x Kessil A160 lights. As a result, i consistently have low NO3 and PO4 levels and are dosing both to maintain within desired range.
That's awesome! I bet you have a lot of life in your tank due to no mechanical filtration. Thanks for the help. I have a lot to ponder about.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! I bet you have a lot of life in your tank due to no mechanical filtration. Thanks for the help. I have a lot to ponder about.
If you stick your hands in the fuge to take out algae, critters are crawling up your arms! :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back