Will this work? Side by side sump

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a multi tank sump, a single large sump that feeds 3 tanks. Looking to swap one tank out which is only slightly above the sump that it drains to. My dilemma is the tank right now has a built in rear overflow which drains from about midway point of the tank. As it sits this drain is level with the top of the sump. See photo below.

I'm looking to replace it with a standard glass cube with standard overflow (bottom drilled). It's also a taller tank and so i want to drop it down 6 inches or possibly more to make it easier to work in.

In thinking that as long as the water line in the cube tank is higher than the water in the sump, the drain should still function? I assume possibly a little slower than normal? The plumbing would almost have to act like a "p trap" in a sink plumbing, since it would start lower than the sump water and would have to rise back up to the sump.

I realize it's not optional, but the question is, is it feasible?

20220320_182713.jpg

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory it should work. Maybe... I think you'd be better with an external overflow on the new tank that doesn't have the "U" shape into the sump. Just my $0.02.
So my drawing is a bit off actually. My goal would be to have them much closer to the same height. So I totally see what you're saying but there is a bit of a space issue as the stand that it is going on is already existing and it would be right up against the wall. It would actually be more like this....

sump.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the scenario has improved with your latest sketch. In fact, I don't think you could reliably depend on gravity for the overflow at this point.

I'm having trouble envisioning why the replacement tank is almost level with the sump. Perhaps you could post an image of your tank/stand/sump setup?

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the scenario has improved with your latest sketch. In fact, I don't think you could reliably depend on gravity for the overflow at this point.

I'm having trouble envisioning why the replacement tank is almost level with the sump. Perhaps you could post an image of your tank/stand/sump setup?
Haha well the reasoning is because the sump was designed for my main tank inside my house. The sump is on the other side of the wall in my attached garage, and fairly high as the garage is lower than where my tank is. So since the sump is fairly high, Like normal fishtank height, the Cube tank that is also in the garage is higher than the sump. Currently I need a step ladder to access the cube tank. So I'd like to get it a bit lower if possible, which would mean the drain will have to be lower than the sump water level by a little bit. Probably 12 inches or so.

I'm thinking that it would work but might be likely to create a syphon. Which I could live with since it is in the garage so noise wouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually here is an old photo. The sump is all the way left. The new Cube is the same footprint but it is taller by 6 inches. So I would like to take the stand down about a foot, which would drop the top down about 6 inches in the end.
1647834542138.png

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory yes but i would think you’d have to slow the flow going back into the tank to keep from filling the tank faster than it drained and might impede the overall volume turn over ratio which could have an effect on water quality . If the tank was drilled in the back rather the bottom it might work better in your favor or go back to a overflow .

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back