Will this work to tie a small frag tank into my display?

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just tore down my frag tank. It was a 48”x 24”x12” deep blue 60 gallon tank running completely separate from my display. It had its own sump, skimmer, dosing, etc. It was too much work, too difficult to be watching parameters on two tanks, and suffered from lack of nutrients stand alone.

Would it work to set up something like the innovative marine 25gal all in one with only a return pump and heater, plus doing Neptune DOS auto water changes between it and my display tank of maybe 5gal/day? I would think this would have the effect of being tied into my display without having to get complicated with overflows, etc and having to drill holes in my hardwood floor between the upstairs and basement tanks. Maybe I could also avoid needing another skimmer and dosing setup?

Any thoughts?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might work, but I have a feeling if you have anything substantial in that tank growth-wise, it may not keep up with Alk, Calc, etc. You'll also need to have some sort of ATO.

I would think it would be easier to tie it into the same system, but it sounds like you are working with multiple floors.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Connect your frag tank to your display tank. It's a frag tank, not a quarantine tank.

That's how my frag tank is, it only has a light and a powerhead inside as it's connected to my display.
b748f96bbb1aa98f9c1e7f48411557c6.jpg
9c6fb37b67277b45db024d5b87d255a4.jpg

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all my frag tanks plumbed into my main system and then two others that are their own systems. One as QT system for acros and another as a QT and fragging system for zoas.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back