Will upgradeing your tank make you restart the cycling process

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon that ive had running for 7 months now and people say your tank doesn’t fully stabilize and cycle until about 6 months so dont get corals until then, so since im upgrading do i have to wait another 6 months again.

Last edited:

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 12 pounds of rock in my tank and i want a pretty open scape
:)

Get another 12 pounds. IMHO that’s not much rock at all.

My 120 likely has about 100 pounds. but I prefer a more shelf/wall like scape. I have 1 or 2 individual rocks that likely are 12lbs a piece.

Upvote 0

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you wish you re used you sand and why didn’t you just put all you rock and fish in immediately after putting in the water
Not wished. Washed. I did re-use my sand.

I put my rock in immediately after getting the tank filled and getting the temp and salinity right.

I waited to put my fish in until I was sure the water was safe (no ammonia or nitrite). That took 5 days, and I gave it 2 additional days just to be safe.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

Get another 12 pounds. IMHO that’s not much rock at all.

My 120 likely has about 100 pounds. but I prefer a more shelf/wall like scape. I have 1 or 2 individual rocks that likely are 12lbs a piece.
I was gonna gonna get 5 pounds of cycled rock from my lfs and 10 pounds of dead rock, is this ok or do i need more cycled rock

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not wished. Washed. I did re-use my sand.

I put my rock in immediately after getting the tank filled and getting the temp and salinity right.

I waited to put my fish in until I was sure the water was safe (no ammonia or nitrite). That took 5 days, and I gave it 2 additional days just to be safe.
Sorry, idk why i thought it said wished

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No- I just did a transfer 3 weeks ago and added all my rock, added MicoBacter XLM and new sand and tank fully stocked with Zero hiccups, not even diatoms.
1672977929873.png
In my current 30 gallon tank im able to add 3-4 small fish at a time without having any problems, once i upgrade can i still add this many fish at once or do i have to get less for a while?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In my current 30 gallon tank im able to add 3-4 small fish at a time without having any problems, once i upgrade can i still add this many fish at once or do i have to get less for a while?
I would add one after 2-3 weeks to allow bioload to keep up with additions then add one here and there. I added a Harlequin Tusk Day 10 and wont add another for 3-4 weeks.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When could you start adding more fish and corals
Corals - anytime, as long as parameters in the new tank are stable. I was a tiny bit worried there could be a "mini cycle", so I waited a couple weeks before adding anything new, but it didn't happen lol. For fish I would just let your existing fish settle in first, and then don't add too much at once. I was almost fully stocked with the fish I wanted before doing my upgrade, so it didn't really matter. I typically only add a couple fish at a time and then give the tank about a month in between for the bio filtration to "catch up" to the new bioload. :)

Upvote 0

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon that ive had running for 7 months now and people say your tank doesn’t fully stabilize and cycle until about 6 months so dont get corals until then, so since im upgrading do i have to wait another 6 months again.
Your tank does what is called a "skip cycle" basically when you do a tank transfer. As long as your existing rock is colonized with enough bacteria to handle the bioload of your inhabitants, and you transfer that existing rock (and any filtration media you were using in the old tank helps as well), you can generally expect the new tank to be basically insta-cycled. If you want to be really safe, it's always good to: add a Seachem ammonia alert badge to the new tank, test for a couple weeks to keep an eye on things, add some bottled bacteria and replenish pods as well, and stock slowly (a fish or two every 3 to 4 weeks minimum, I wouldn't go sooner than that in between). Hopefully you're either quarantining your fish, or buying pre-quarantined. Will save you a thousand headaches and your fish will thank you!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank does what is called a "skip cycle" basically when you do a tank transfer. As long as your existing rock is colonized with enough bacteria to handle the bioload of your inhabitants, and you transfer that existing rock (and any filtration media you were using in the old tank helps as well), you can generally expect the new tank to be basically insta-cycled. If you want to be really safe, it's always good to: add a Seachem ammonia alert badge to the new tank, test for a couple weeks to keep an eye on things, add some bottled bacteria and replenish pods as well, and stock slowly (a fish or two every 3 to 4 weeks minimum, I wouldn't go sooner than that in between). Hopefully you're either quarantining your fish, or buying pre-quarantined. Will save you a thousand headaches and your fish will thank you!
would it be ok to add corals after i do they transfer or should I wait a little while because i don't have any corals yet?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals - anytime, as long as parameters in the new tank are stable. I was a tiny bit worried there could be a "mini cycle", so I waited a couple weeks before adding anything new, but it didn't happen lol. For fish I would just let your existing fish settle in first, and then don't add too much at once. I was almost fully stocked with the fish I wanted before doing my upgrade, so it didn't really matter. I typically only add a couple fish at a time and then give the tank about a month in between for the bio filtration to "catch up" to the new bioload. :)
Sorry i didn’t see you said this

Upvote 0

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i didn’t see you said this
No problem! What corals are you interested in? If you are just starting out with them, most people suggest trying some of the easier to keep soft corals like mushrooms, zoas, etc. They're definitely more forgiving and less likely to die when you're first learning to care for coral. I still consider myself a "newbie" and I've been in the hobby over a year... but for reference, my first ever corals were discosoma mushrooms. They are very tolerant of less than perfect water parameters and things like that. What type of lights do you have on your new tank?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! What corals are you interested in? If you are just starting out with them, most people suggest trying some of the easier to keep soft corals like mushrooms, zoas, etc. They're definitely more forgiving and less likely to die when you're first learning to care for coral. I still consider myself a "newbie" and I've been in the hobby over a year... but for reference, my first ever corals were discosoma mushrooms. They are very tolerant of less than perfect water parameters and things like that. What type of lights do you have on your new tank?
I want Euphyllias and zoas the most, I’m not a fan on sps so only lps and soft corals. i have some top of the line lights so growing corals wont be a problem.

Upvote 0

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want Euphyllias and zoas the most, I’m not a fan on sps so only lps and soft corals. i have some top of the line lights so growing corals wont be a problem.
That's what I keep - softies and LPS. I'd recommend beginning with some soft corals, the zoas, etc before trying euphyllia- in my experience the lighting isn't as much the issue with LPS as water parameter stability and flow. Maybe try like one lower-priced hammer and see how that goes before adding more (just my advice, as I lost a bunch of pricey ones before I got the hang of them and it sucks).

Upvote 0

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back