Worst. Movie. Ever. (an Illinois Stateline reef enthusiasts journey)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no sweat we got you covered

OP
OP
StatelineReefer

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 66: So, I have options...

I like options...

I can either get a frag tank, 10 gallon, but I'd need to build a stand and very specific lighting.

Or I can skip the frag tank, get a small frag rack, and do everything in the display tank for a bit.

Pics coming tonight... I feel the need to display my progress as well as my failures. Truth in reefkeeping, we take the good with the bad.

Back in a few more beers with a lot more pictures.

OP
OP
StatelineReefer

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news... no pics tonight...

Worse news... I'm now forced into a situation of desperate need. my 75g RR has a leak along the bottom seam. The sand keeps it from absolutely flooding out, but it's new and it's going to be a growing problem.

I always wanted a 90g RR cube, looks like I may have to get one whether I like it or not!

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bummer ,call Joe Glass Cages see if he has one ready,or c l, offer up,cl nice one in wheaton rr standard 90 stand and canopy ,tell him frank sent you, good luck ,again bummer

Last edited:
OP
OP
StatelineReefer

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FB marketplace has a 74(75) gallon tall reef ready listed. I might be building a new stand for my day off. That is if the seller responds. It's so hit or miss these days... for my water station barrels, instant response, but anything over 10 bucks, it's like people don't want money or something.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
fb nah ,cl

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news... no pics tonight...

Worse news... I'm now forced into a situation of desperate need. my 75g RR has a leak along the bottom seam. The sand keeps it from absolutely flooding out, but it's new and it's going to be a growing problem.

I always wanted a 90g RR cube, looks like I may have to get one whether I like it or not!
We may be able to help. We have some inventory tanks to help you get through this. Let us know!

OP
OP
StatelineReefer

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 66, the day that doesn't seem to end!

From Rockford to the Indiana/Chicago border. I picked up a reef ready 120 gallon tank. Now to build a stand and plumb the new beast.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
used? test fill meantime

OP
OP
StatelineReefer

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, now that it's a new tank, should I just make a new build thread?

The seam on the 75 stopped leaking, a ton of water weld will do that. I also found another place it was leaking, a chip on the back corner that I'd never noticed before.

New bulkheads are coming in for the 120. I figured out how to test it though... I'm happy to say that there is no water on my floor from the new tank...

Got all the wood for the new stand. Gonna have fun overbuilding this one. 2x6's and 2x4's for structure, red oak plywood for the top and veneer. I'm probably going to put a canopy on this one, but I want to make it fancy. Like, open it and the lights move out of your way type fancy.

Definitely building in a control panel for the electronics. Also going to run the wiring nice and neat this time.

OP
OP
StatelineReefer

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to the patience of both of the kids who still live with me, and my wife, who puts up with me and my hobby, I'm almost ready to move everything out of the leaker and into the new 120. Stand is built, and the tank is on the stand. It's not skinned yet, but that's literally the least of my concerns.

Ordered new 1/2" loc-line from Amazon, later I can worry about another random flow generator, for now nothing's gonna be too bothered with laminar flow.

I'm just worried about life support for now, it can all be beautified later.

OP
OP
StatelineReefer

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is finally in the 120g tank, I now have new 'problems'...

The rock that looked so good in my 75g just looks like bottom layer rubble in the 120...

It's time for new rock, which means it's aquascaping time

Barring travel restrictions due to "That which will not be named in this thread-19" I'll be in Florida, Ohio, and Indiana in April, and Nevada in May. If anyone has suggestions of places to pick up LIVE rock, not dead rock that has been made live, I'm definitely listening.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everything is finally in the 120g tank, I now have new 'problems'...

The rock that looked so good in my 75g just looks like bottom layer rubble in the 120...

It's time for new rock, which means it's aquascaping time

Barring travel restrictions due to "That which will not be named in this thread-19" I'll be in Florida, Ohio, and Indiana in April, and Nevada in May. If anyone has suggestions of places to pick up LIVE rock, not dead rock that has been made live, I'm definitely listening.
PM me

OP
OP
StatelineReefer

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... Somewhere in the middle of moving from one tank to another, I thought I lost a Banggai Cardinal...

Nope... Instead I'm going to have many many Banggai Cardinals...

He's hiding too well to show it, but I got a Cardinal with a mouthful.

Now I get to make a fake urchin. and get ready for a whole bunch of tiny tiny fish.

OP
OP
StatelineReefer

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased 10 pounds of new 'dead rock' to fill out the spaces left over on the 120g, still seems a little barren, so I'm probably going to move some stuff around...

Finally got a chance to hit up Main Reef Specialties... I like Ronnie, he's a good guy, so I'm probably going to sink a bit of time into finding him some acro colonies for grow-out.

He's got a nice euphyllia garden, some zoas, a couple of them high end, and a few plating and encrusting types, but little in the way of sticks, so if anyone has a lead on a mille colony, shoot me a PM.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on my frags... with the move, water chemistry is wonky... I might have to push back my ship date... we'll see.

Last edited:

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i see your build thread is moving at warp speed as mine :rolleyes: :cool:

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
KINDA YEAH....LOL

Back