Would love input on my stand fix up

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased my dream tank (for an apartment) from Manny a Ctars member for $75 and it was an amazing deal. Because I plan to upgrade from my 55 and stay with this tank for many years I want to brace up the stand a bit. I filled the 72 and it held it no problem. It's one of those ikea Walmart type put together stands without screws it uses those large screw things that grab onto posts and pull on them. I hope that made sense to some of you lol.

I bought some 1.5 x 1.5 to put in each corner. I am replacing all the hardware. The center is actually split and joined with metal squares. I bought replacements for these but plan to buy bigger rectangle braces and use the squares too. Manny had cut out the middle front for adding and removing sump which is great but I would like to have this piece back in as support of possible. I took pictures of everything and you can see where I plan to add bracing. It held the weight and I'm sure anything more is overkill but as we all know you can never take too many precautions in this hobby. I'm not sure how the flimsy boards in these type of particle board stands hold SO much weight but they do!

My other question is the silicone on the inside is a little shabby and looks almost nibbled at. I do not want to attempt to re-silicone a tank like this but was wondering if I can put a silicone bead over what is already there for more support?

While I have everything apart I want to do as much as I possibly can to ensure I have done the best possible preventative maintenance and ensure this will last until I'm ready to sell it to a reefer for $75 years down the road and so on.

Any tips or ideas will be GREATLY appreciated. There are some real artists and real geniuses on this forum and I would LOVE to your input and help. Thank you!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415170260.397750.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415170278.811036.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415170289.028085.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415170296.679173.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415170304.897000.jpg

h8z2luze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say get atleast some 2x3's for the corners, Better yet make a frame for under the top board or replace it altogether and paint it black. Since I have made my last two stands I tend to go a little overboard...

Here is the one I just made for my 75.

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

I have a front for it also that just velcros on but matches the sides. Didnt mean to flood your thread. I just saw it pop up and I love stand projects. Just trying to give you an idea on bracing. You always want your brace piece (the corners) between the top and bottom pieces so the weight is resting on them and not screws if that makes sense...

Last edited:

h8z2luze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a second look and seeing that its split I would FOR SURE replace that top. Get a 1/2" or 3/4" piece of plywood, cut it to shape and sand it then paint it. Put a piece of trim around the edge if you dont like the plywood layered look.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a GREAT idea. Don't know why they did that. The bottom is split too. I just didn't want to end up re-doing the whole thing. It does hold the tank. I feel like this is gonna turn into me rebuilding the stand lol.i certainly have the time but not much for wood working tools. I have a brand new dewalt drill lithium ion 20v I could get the saw to match for $100. On a side not we are moving from a $1500 apartment to one around $800 so we can save for a house and wedding and all that stuff. I said "I can't wait to have all that extra money in the bank" and she said yes "BANK" not "TANK". Hahah! I think replacing the top is good. If I do a full frame I may limit sump space. If I could get a narrower tall sump that would be great but the bow shape definitely limits sump space.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415173958.621065.jpg

On the right is a 13 gallon acrylic sump which is great for tight spaces. On the left is a 20L sump which isn't as space friendly. I'm hoping to come across a perfect sump that is as big as possible. It seems like the ones you buy premade cost more than most tanks setups. Any recommendations for the sump on this build.

PS I can't express how grateful I am that all of you are right here with me for this build. You are all saints.

h8z2luze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not from your neck of the woods but im glad to help!

Ya I know all about the bow limiting space. I had a 46 bow and I thought id love it but once I had it a few months I didnt like it at all. Do you plan on having a fuge in your sump or just equipment? Honestly if you're just going to have equipment I dont see why the smaller one wouldn't work. Yes the more water volume the better but honestly its all in what you want and what works for you. Otherwise we would all have 500G tanks lol. You could always say oh sorry honey I thought you said TANK not bank haha thats funny though. On another note Jigsaws would cut the plywood just fine and they arent real expensive. If it was me I would probably also end up rebuilding the stand haha. But realistically if you put a inner frame in it and keep the outer skeleton it should be fine.

As far as a different sump. If you feel comfortable trying new things you could always custom build your own acrylic sump. Do lots of research and dont skimp lol. Mine is custom built but I didnt do it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the kind of help I was looking for. Thank you so much.

Well I have never had a sump before and my first one is going on my 40B cuttlefish tank. Was going to use the smaller one on that because it slides in and out where as the 20L I have to drain and remove the 40B to take it out through the top of the stand.
13 G seems a little small for a sump. I have a talk 16G that might work, it's cycling rock now. I was thinking closer to 30G sump and I kind of wanted to do a fuge so that if I have a green mandarin and tangs copepods can breed there. Something about the idea of a mini aquarium under my aquarium sounds appealing haha!

It's going to be my main DT until I have my own house and can do some type of custom built in. I hope that doesn't happen to me because I love the look of bow fronts but have never had one. I will have to search or ask what is the best possible sump for a 72 bow. I wish I knew how to work with acrylic. It looks simple, and Wade and Brett on tanked can do it soooo. Then I could make the perfect sump.

There aren't many options for premade. There are kits on eBay that are pretty nice, you buy the tank they cut the inserts to exactly how you want $60 ish. I'm gonna YouTube how to make an acrylic tank.

If I don't post back for a few days I probably burned the house down and the misses will probably sell all my tanks for her bank ;) haha

h8z2luze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha well best of luck with whatever you go with. I'll keep my eye on here for updates. I always wanted a fuge I could look at in my sump so this time I made sure I had a decent size one.

Trumptitan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
replace the metal brackets with stainless steel if you leave it that way. if you do acrylic then you will want to build a full interior bottom maybe outta masoniteand use it to attach the two sides

Masedaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the pre-made stands are made out of particle board then veneered. The issue is that if it gets wet, the veneer peels off and the board swells. I wouldn't trust a pre-made stand that wasn't solid wood. I agree with rebuilding the stand. You can customize it however you want....

In fact there are several carpenters in the club that could give you very good advice.

Masedaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a custom sump is very easy and can be done on a budget. If you go to a plastic manufacturer they will often have a room for extra acrylic cut offs and remnants. I picked up a ton of acrylic for 40 bucks. Then built my own sump.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Any pictures? Thanks for the advice. You would rebuild completely? Won't that cost 2 hundred or more ? I just don't want to spend too much.

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I don't want to withhold the truth either! I would lose the whole works and find a tank without a bow front, and that has nice looking silicone everywhere. And please do not use a stand made from something that when it gets wet, it crumbles apart, and it does it right away, too. That's what you have! If the tank starts leaking bcause of old, damaged silicone, and/or the stand starts falling apart in your new place, it will be more expensive in the long run, and short run, too, than going the sure path! And silicone does not stick to silicone, at least not for very long! You are seeing several warning signs of potential problems (disaster), but trying to paint it as a dream tank. Your dream tank should be one that has a much better chance of success than it does for failure! How much will it cost if the tank splits a seam, leaks everywhere, and the stand falls down because it crumbled apart? Please weigh the risks carefully before proceeding!

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong with a bow front ?

Masedaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong with a bow front ?

I don't think anything is wrong with a bow front it's just personal preference. The silicone does look a little beat up but it's the silicone near the edges. The silicone that is structurally integral is the stuff in between the pieces of glass. The other stuff is mostly cosmetic. Most used tanks will have the silicone chipped up. As long as there is no leaks or cracks your probably good.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I would never ask that of you! That is way way too nice.

Thank you for the reassuring advice. I will put the supports in and I am contemplating replacing the top.

Kdocimo90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone looks fine to me to be honest, as long as there are no huge chunks taken out of it that affect the seam/connection of the two sides.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! That's reassuring !!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back