Wow...Found My Favorite Coral Today...What Luck!

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my absolute favorite corals as well! I had a medium colony 5-6 years ago, but wasn't experienced enough to keep it alive. I just traded for a small colony with a local reefer and have it mounted in a high flow area under a ledge where it catches the fish food 3-4 times a day, it's been looking really good!
You'd have to come to Bangkok...it's ironic that I was actually posting on here asking if anyone had connections with a legal importer because my friend in Indonesia works with a company down there that I'm sure could supply as much as desired. The ironic part is all the HATE comments I received for some reason for that post. I wouldn't have even been making a penny, only trying to help connect that side of the world with something I thought would be greatly appreciated. The comments were crazy...if you want to read the thread I'll post the link for you to see how people responded.
Jeez, I remember that thread. Everyone assumed that you were trying to import animals illegally or some crap, nobody even stopped to read your whole message I don't think. People can be ridiculous.

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd have to come to Bangkok...it's ironic that I was actually posting on here asking if anyone had connections with a legal importer because my friend in Indonesia works with a company down there that I'm sure could supply as much as desired. The ironic part is all the HATE comments I received for some reason for that post. I wouldn't have even been making a penny, only trying to help connect that side of the world with something I thought would be greatly appreciated. The comments were crazy...if you want to read the thread I'll post the link for you to see how people responded.
Thats a shame, so instead of taking small batches from around the world lets all take big patches out of 1 or 2 locals. Oh well. Nice pieces and that Black Sun is really cool too.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my absolute favorite corals as well! I had a medium colony 5-6 years ago, but wasn't experienced enough to keep it alive. I just traded for a small colony with a local reefer and have it mounted in a high flow area under a ledge where it catches the fish food 3-4 times a day, it's been looking really good!

Jeez, I remember that thread. Everyone assumed that you were trying to import animals illegally or some crap, nobody even stopped to read your whole message I don't think. People can be ridiculous.
People posting sheer nonsensical hate comments or making absurd assumptions without even reading the original post (you can generally tell pretty easily by what they write if they read it) is one of my biggest pet peeves on R2R. I recall being pretty specific in saying it would be done 100% legally and honestly, I'm not the importer or exporter and don't work for anyone involved. It's the importer and exporter who bear the responsibility to ensure they are following the legal process. I find it unlikely that any remotely responsible company would just see a post online and not care anything about verifying the legality regardless.

What I think it boils down to is the typical internet anonymity which allows people to say anything they'd never say in person and it encourages people to jump on the dogpile further. Why don't they have a problem with Australian live rock being harvested and sold? They praise it!

I'd love to help fellow reefers get their hands on this quality rock! I feel it's enormously beneficial to add to a reef tank. I'm sure there are even people who will read this and somehow judge me as "pretending to want the best for everyone" but actually lying for some obscure reason.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People posting sheer nonsensical hate comments or making absurd assumptions without even reading the original post (you can generally tell pretty easily by what they write if they read it) is one of my biggest pet peeves on R2R. I recall being pretty specific in saying it would be done 100% legally and honestly, I'm not the importer or exporter and don't work for anyone involved. It's the importer and exporter who bear the responsibility to ensure they are following the legal process. I find it unlikely that any remotely responsible company would just see a post online and not care anything about verifying the legality regardless.

What I think it boils down to is the typical internet anonymity which allows people to say anything they'd never say in person and it encourages people to jump on the dogpile further. Why don't they have a problem with Australian live rock being harvested and sold? They praise it!

I'd love to help fellow reefers get their hands on this quality rock! I feel it's enormously beneficial to add to a reef tank. I'm sure there are even people who will read this and somehow judge me as "pretending to want the best for everyone" but actually lying for some obscure reason.
You might have luck reaching out to Chris Meckley with ACI Aquaculture, I know he gets a lot of neat stuff in and likes to be the first to have it. Unique Corals may also be interested. I think both of them are open to contact with business inquiries, you would have to have your collector friends reach out themselves though.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have luck reaching out to Chris Meckley with ACI Aquaculture, I know he gets a lot of neat stuff in and likes to be the first to have it. Unique Corals may also be interested. I think both of them are open to contact with business inquiries, you would have to have your collector friends reach out themselves though.
Thanks for the leads! And yes, I wouldn't be trying to represent a company I'm not part of...I'd tell my friend to actually just hand over the lead (if they did show interest) to his supervisor who handles the relations and negotiates the business deals.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[email protected]
[email protected]
both of their contact addresses.
Thanks! I'll get the supervisor who handles business relations and negotiations with the importers the addresses!

I just remembered that one of the comments left on the thread I mentioned was actually left by a representative for an actual business who was directly discouraging (harshly) and attempting to make the post sound foolish but he was speaking as a business representative himself...i found that particularly laughable...

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll get the supervisor who handles business relations and negotiations with the importers the addresses!

I just remembered that one of the comments left on the thread I mentioned was actually left by a representative for an actual business who was directly discouraging (harshly) and attempting to make the post sound foolish but he was speaking as a business representative himself...i found that particularly laughable...
Could you post a link to the thread, my curiosity is peaked. Thanks

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post a link to the thread, my curiosity is peaked. Thanks

Have a good read...I think even the title discouraged illegal activity...

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have a good read...I think even the title discouraged illegal activity...
Oh geeeeeezzzzz, that went bad quick. I almost stopped after page 3. Idk, you couldn’t have been any clearer. I drooled when I saw the rock. Reminded me of the beautiful rock I started my first tank back in the mid nineties if it made it to the market it would sell out fast.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh geeeeeezzzzz, that went bad quick. I almost stopped after page 3. Idk, you could’ve been any clearer. I drooled when I saw the rock. Reminded me of the beautiful rock I started my first tank back in the mid nineties if it made it to the market it would sell out fast.
I'd definitely expect it to sell out in a heartbeat and end up on pre-order often because of demand to be honest. Apparently, for whatever reason people hated even the idea of it becoming available from what I recall reading through the comments when they were posted. Honestly though, it seems more plausible that they thought someone not already deeply involved in the industry might succeed in marketing a product and disliked the idea of someone succeeding in an endeavor when they have no contacts or ideas whatsoever although they wish they did. Essentially they'd be envious and jealous someone had an opportunity they don't have. However, if they read or understood anything I wrote in the original post or in response to them, they would've known I wasn't trying to make any business at all and literally said at one point that I wouldn't be getting a penny regardless of any leads provided and only was trying to help a friend who works for a business I'm not associated with at all.
They would want it if it was available but would never admit to that.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus, if its actually true that the very high costs of anything from Australia is due to labor cost and related expenses, Indonesian live rock would be a lot cheaper to import. Of course I highly doubt whatever company selling it would sell it for much less because I'd consider it to be likely seen as a very valued product by consumers and it would absolutely be in high demand...
You were crystal clear. Maybe if they saw it in person they would have understood. It seems more than not start with dry rock. I never have or ever will.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But hey, it's them I was trying to make it available to. I pay $5 for any piece I pick from the shipments the shop near me gets. I have it...thought they might appreciate it...

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But hey, it's them I was trying to make it available to. I pay $5 for any piece I pick from the shipments the shop near me gets. I have it...thought they might appreciate it...
From the first post you made that crystal clear.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the first post you made that crystal clear.
I didn't quite receive the responses I expected but oh well...the reason I mentioned that was to emphasize that it's not expensive to collect and that's the value of it after the collection, export/import here, and whatever margin the shop adds. Regardless of that though, if rock that costs $25/lb sells out and is in high demand apparently people don't particularly mind paying a LOT for rock of that quality.

Once in a while I'm tempted to post on there the pieces I just got that they seem to absolutely not desire (although they do) but I'd prefer to just let it be and not try to start frustrated arguments and heated conversations.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also can't help but feed my addiction for that fresh Indonesian live rock since a new shipment came in today. No arguing that's a score and incredible deal either!
Gonna grab 3 or 4 pieces...these looked good for my nano...
Screenshot_2023-11-26-19-21-33-121_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-11-26-19-20-56-538_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-11-26-19-20-40-392_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-11-26-19-20-34-224_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
Where are you located and who is selling this rock?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kinda funny that the original post was about the incredible coral and all I got with it and like 3 different people have asked specifically about the live rock I posted and where it's sold

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I didn't respect the law, I could make a living purely from grabbing and shipping pieces of rock like that around the world.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back