Wow more supplements then a body builder

Hak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

guys Im soon to own a large tank 2700 odd litres 700 gal, Im looking at these supplements, which were not around all that much when I last had a marine tank.

Mmmmmm 50ml per 100 Litres or one drop per 27 gal, at that rate Id be going through more bottles then a drunk?

how do people with large tanks dose these supplements for there hard corals etc

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, but don't add anything to a tank that you don't test for...

Also, a good calcium reactor and water changes should be all you need for a large tank.

Aaron Stone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most don't. Kind of like your body building supplement reference, most of these supplements are hype, marketing departments are the ones on steroids, not the lifters.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What reef supplement are you referring to? There’s ways to achieve most of that naturally and cheaper.

OP
OP
H

Hak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you guys, 20 years ago, from what I understood people did alright with dripping lime and baking soda, and now there a reactor for every thing, however I didn't venture fare enough into the hobby to learn enough, I will this time around.

You know it was funny when I went to order my tank, stand and sump, I asked the young lad behind the counter when designing the sump, where does the bio section go and what about refuge in this sump, he said noop, I don't believe in that I do mechanical meaning reactors, I thought OK
times must have changed, now there's ziovet this and that

I was glancing at the Aquaforest web site, and a little shocked to how many items there are

mmmmmmm interesting

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your doing a SPS heavy tank you can probably get away with just dripping Kalkwasser, still nice to have cal, Alk and Mg available if you need occasionally to tweak your levels but those supplements are not that expensive.

OP
OP
H

Hak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your doing a SPS heavy tank you can probably get away with just dripping Kalkwasser, still nice to have cal, Alk and Mg available if you need occasionally to tweak your levels but those supplements are not that expensive.

Im going for a mixed reef, what the supreme brand for supplements such as Kalkwasser, cal, Alk and Mg?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used Mrs. Wages picking lime from my local grocery store to make Kalkwasser and BRS has house brand cal, Alk and Mg mix’s that are good quality and economical.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/2-part-calcium-alkalinity-starter-package-bulk-reef-supply.html

E8EBC0C2-2B0D-4630-8A12-31F464E1DACF.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going for a mixed reef, what the supreme brand for supplements such as Kalkwasser, cal, Alk and Mg?
Water changes should take care of your tank for a while. Dosing when not needed will lead to problems. Now that I have said that. Most people start out with Kalk. There is no one better than another.
This will help spalin it a bit better and give you some ideas.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php
If you are doing a 700g tank then you should think about a calcium reactor. Not only will it help keep your calcium in line. It will add trace elements which the coral needs. You can also add ZEOmag to the reactor which will help keep your mag up. You should not use the reactor to get to your levels. It is to keep them at the level you want. You will have to add things to get to the level you want. A lot of that depends on what salt mix you use and how often you do water changes.

OP
OP
H

Hak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys it gives me some thought, I have plenty of other things to worry about such as which pumps, which skimmer, what brand of reactors in fact whet type of reactors and which controllers etc etc

The only sure thing right now is that the tanks is 12x2.5x2.5 on powder coated metal stand sump is 9x2x20inch which should be delivered in the next 3 -4 weeks pumps are all to be external Im running a close loop system

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%

Back