• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

WTB: Hannah Checkers

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to buy some Hannah checkers. I currently don’t own any, so looking for basic ones to start.
Here is my experience with the alk, phosphate ULR and the pH Hannah checkers.
--------------------------

used the alk checker for about a year without a doser, and hand dosed every day up until i got a neptunes system apex a3 pro w/ doser and trident along with dosing kalkwasser.

the checker seemed absolutly wonderful compared to other titration tests. meaning i feel i trust them and im not sure why. maybe brs gave me a good feeling about them. i used the alk to manage between 8-9 and i seemed to have decent success no real issues. i reccommend making sure you do your best to not let the vials obtain any scratching/etching on it, in reality it really matters more towards the center or middle i should say of the vial were the photo lens is on the in the checker itself it really does throw readings of due to this. i know this due to many test experimentations.

however, on the alk side of things when i got the trident and calibrated it after a few days.. according to the hannah and the trident testing at the same time and comparing results at the same time (about) they were pretty far off readings.
now with this stated i emailed back and forth with neptunes systems customer support over and voer and over, almost every day for over a month. trying to make a valid and unbias argument of why are they different and i feel as if the trident maybe wrong but truth is the trident can analyze alot more CONSISTENT, rather then possible human error happening when performing the hannah checker test. a really good rule of thumb is to be honestly doing it the EXACT SAME WAY every time with any checker to have a better result. making sure the meniscus(the curve where the air meets the solution) in the cuvette are spot on exactly were u pick with the black line printed on it and using the syringe filing it ect ect is the same. make it a habit.

an example of being different number readings that happen to me where tri:7.68alk and han:8.3-8.5alk
i dealt with this for about 3 months and realized i need ot pick only one instrument and just create a better husbandry between My tank and I. take it how you want. i like both but hannah seems to be less accurate in a sense of same test procedure reproduction. and it does have an accuracy range so they claim of +/- .3dkh or 5% @77f

however phosphate ULR is reallly really handy and seems to be pretty good considering i watch my algea growth anf feeding habits very closly and everything else such as coral and sand bed and i can definably say when that checker reads around .1 phosphate things really seem to start to not do so well in the coral view, as well as much significantly faster algea growth and when im more towards a reading of .2/.3/.4 and even .5 corals look great and the algea growth is significantly slower if none really. i manage my phosphate with a gfo/carbon reactor. gfo lasts for about 2-3 months before i need to replace it. i feed alot.

the ph checker, idk im kinda iffy on not quite sure what to think of it. all i know is to be accurate it seems like the test should be done really quickly in a location that is metrics controlled lol. my readings bounce from 7.9-8.4 one test after another. maybe an exaggeration but it is hard to be consistent with the dang thing imo. lol. although i would use it if i didnt have a ph probe and some kind of controller. atleast u can tell if you are above 8 and below 8. imo thats worth it because in 10 years of reefing i would much much rather have a ph higher then 8.00. infact the moment ph dips below 8 during the day i would immediately do something about it because im really into getting the most growth for my corals and health of everything overall. i dont like ph to ever be below 8 and sometimes maybe there isnt nothing you can do about it if you dont have the right equipment.

I dont use hannah checkers for measuring any other parameter but not ruling them out simply because i havent used them.

i use salifert calcium and aqua forest magnesium. for nitrate i use nyos. these ones IMO are the best titration tests simply because they are much easier to read then all the others, much easier. but i would recommend getting a SMART STIR magnetic pill stir plate for these kinds of tests, absolutely love it. built in battery and rechargeable and very small sleek design.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back