Year Long Hair Algae/Lyngbya Battle/Success Story

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would share what finally worked for me...

It all starts Thanksgiving 2021. Left town for a week or maybe less with a spotless 10 gallon mixed reef with two clowns. I came home to quite a bit of hair algae, I suspected maybe the auto feeder was set to give too many pellets, however I honestly don't know. It really came out of nowhere. The tank was started in March 2020 and was going very smooth until thanksgiving 2021. Anyway, I have been battling either GHA or Lyngbya ever since. I was doing twice weekly water changes and manually removing loads of it, cut feeding way back, removed uneaten food, tried various cleanup crews, dosed H2O2 daily for a while, tried Flucanazole various times as well.

I would make decent progress and then all the sudden it was worse than before. I couldn't wrap my head around why nothing was working. I couldn't decide if it was hair algae or lyngbya bacteria because it had sort of a brownish tint to it and barely if at all, responded to fluconazole. Finally nearly a year into this absurdity, I decided to abandon conventional methods of warfare and had read about reefers pulling rocks out and spraying them with H2O2. Before doing this, I switched from the chemipure blue nano packets to media bags with reefspec carbon and BRS brand GFO. I figured I would do my best to starve out the algae before spraying it. I pulled out 2 of the 3 rocks and sprayed them down with the H2O2 carefully avoiding the SPS attached to them. Once sprayed, let them sit for a couple minutes then brushed with a tooth brush and rinsed with saltwater then back into the tank. Within a day or two those rocks looked spotless. The third rock, I decided to keep going with the carbon and GFO while also dosing H202 daily and over the course of about a month now it has nearly disappeared completely.

It has now been about a year since the outbreak and I feel like it's about 95% won with no set backs since these big victories. I'm not sure why I kept after it with the manual removal, fluconazole and H2O2 dosing for so long before finally removing the rocks, I was pretty nervous to pull the rocks for some reason but it worked out perfectly.

Don't give up! There is a way, just don't be like me and hesitate to abandon methods not working.

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the writeup I'm on month 4 of my battle and have replaced the bulbs on my t5 fixture, manual removal, DIY NoPox, GFO, added cleanup crew, added one spot foxface, adding a yellow tang this weekend, weekly water changes (I did relax on this for 2 weeks I had covid last month), vacuumed my sump a few times, Flucanazole once, cut back on pellet feeding, I have a filter roller so changing socks isn't a worry, skimmer going 24/7. All of this and I'm still battling. My coral are all pail and not doing well I'm not sure if the algae is outcompeting them for nutrients but i don't want to add more nutrients. PO4 fluctuates between .03 and .11 and NO3 between 10 and 20 although last test was 36 over the weekend but that was right after I did a large manual removal and that's also when PO4 hit .11. My tank was also about a year and a half in when it started and now hit the 2 year mark this month. You're post gives me confidence on beating this I just have to find the best course of action. I have a 125gal D/T so manually removing all of the rock is much more difficult since it's glued although I have taken the 2 rocks that aren't glued and scrubbed them in a bucket. Hopefully you've finally won this battle!

OP
OP
P

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the writeup I'm on month 4 of my battle and have replaced the bulbs on my t5 fixture, manual removal, DIY NoPox, GFO, added cleanup crew, added one spot foxface, adding a yellow tang this weekend, weekly water changes (I did relax on this for 2 weeks I had covid last month), vacuumed my sump a few times, Flucanazole once, cut back on pellet feeding, I have a filter roller so changing socks isn't a worry, skimmer going 24/7. All of this and I'm still battling. My coral are all pail and not doing well I'm not sure if the algae is outcompeting them for nutrients but i don't want to add more nutrients. PO4 fluctuates between .03 and .11 and NO3 between 10 and 20 although last test was 36 over the weekend but that was right after I did a large manual removal and that's also when PO4 hit .11. My tank was also about a year and a half in when it started and now hit the 2 year mark this month. You're post gives me confidence on beating this I just have to find the best course of action. I have a 125gal D/T so manually removing all of the rock is much more difficult since it's glued although I have taken the 2 rocks that aren't glued and scrubbed them in a bucket. Hopefully you've finally won this battle!
Hopefully with the size of your tank those tangs will be a helpful addition! I'm in the equipment gathering and smaller livestock gathering phases of a 90-100ish gallon build right now and I'm looking forward to being able to have some utility fish in the tank besides just the two clowns.

OP
OP
P

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also say, this is BY FAR the toughest plague I've had to deal with. The tank went through the usual ugly new stages, none of that was tough. First thing was ich a few months in that I believe came in on an invertebrate in the CUC. Dealt with that, went fallow etc, tank has been in the "eradicated" mode ever since. QT tank for all coral and inverts in a separate room and strict fallow periods etc.. Anyway, dealt with the ich then came cyano. Got that handled, followed by an insane infestation of vermetids snails. A small herd of bumble bee snails took care of that. Aiptasia was soon after. Berghia nudis again handled that. The berghias were actually pretty fun to watch. The tank was overrun with aiptasia. I dropped in 2 berghias and within what seemed like weeks there was berghia everywhere and haven't seen aiptasia since. Then came the hair algae and you heard that story, I couldn't believe how stubborn that crap is!

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also say, this is BY FAR the toughest plague I've had to deal with. The tank went through the usual ugly new stages, none of that was tough. First thing was ich a few months in that I believe came in on an invertebrate in the CUC. Dealt with that, went fallow etc, tank has been in the "eradicated" mode ever since. QT tank for all coral and inverts in a separate room and strict fallow periods etc.. Anyway, dealt with the ich then came cyano. Got that handled, followed by an insane infestation of vermetids snails. A small herd of bumble bee snails took care of that. Aiptasia was soon after. Berghia nudis again handled that. The berghias were actually pretty fun to watch. The tank was overrun with aiptasia. I dropped in 2 berghias and within what seemed like weeks there was berghia everywhere and haven't seen aiptasia since. Then came the hair algae and you heard that story, I couldn't believe how stubborn that crap is!
I agree GHA has been the biggest hurdle. I got a filefish and a dozen peppermint shrimp for aptasia and although i see a few here and there it's so much better than it was. 50 bumblebee snails also took care of the vermatids and chemiclean did a great job with the cyano but the GHA started right after that went away. I believe the chemiclean may have thrown things out of wack creating the GHA problem but that's just a theory. Luckily i haven't dealt with anything serious with the fish although one of my clowns developed popeye and i though i had taken care of that but then it came back when i was away for a week and my tank sitter didn't noticed. it was too late by the time i got home and he died the next day.

OP
OP
P

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this post. I’ve seen a lot of GHA posts lately and hoping some with removable rocks find this useful.

It’s been about 18 months since this original post and I haven’t had any issues with the tank, feeding 4 times a day. The tailspot and a couple snails keep things in check.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back