Yellow belly blue hippo tang HELP!

disneyguy1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me, my tang started swimming like this(see video) just a few hours ago. He was eating fine this afternoon. I don’t know what to do.

Attachments

• IMG_2966.MOV
    82.7 MB

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a close up image of him so there is a better look at his head and body?

OP
OP
D

disneyguy1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3C2765B8-0DF9-4D8E-83BE-05EF92F4CE7D.jpeg

This is him this morning, still not acting normal. Swimming backwards, just seems completely disoriented.
As for the tank it has been set up for about 2 1/2 years. And we’ve had the tang for probably somewhere around 1 1/2 years.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3C2765B8-0DF9-4D8E-83BE-05EF92F4CE7D.jpeg

This is him this morning, still not acting normal. Swimming backwards, just seems completely disoriented.
As for the tank it has been set up for about 2 1/2 years. And we’ve had the tang for probably somewhere around 1 1/2 years.
He has HLLE.., which most likely is caused by the use of carbon or water quality/nutrient issues but that won't make him sick like that. As to the discoloration, it's stress but also likely velvet which can kill in 2 days. It looks like you don't have coral in here so I think you should consider dosing either copper power or coppersafe. What are your water quality readings in ammonia, ph, dKH? The tank looks a bit tight for a sailfin and a blue tang. What else are in there? How big is the tank? Is the sailfin bullying the blue?

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not seeing velvet, just looks very pale. Definitely has hlle, but that’s not a killer. Something else is wrong. Unfortunately with the condition it’s in, it may not be able to be saved.

OP
OP
D

disneyguy1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has HLLE.., which most likely is caused by the use of carbon or water quality/nutrient issues but that won't make him sick like that. As to the discoloration, it's stress but also likely velvet which can kill in 2 days. It looks like you don't have coral in here so I think you should consider dosing either copper power or coppersafe. What are your water quality readings in ammonia, ph, dKH? The tank looks a bit tight for a sailfin and a blue tang. What else are in there? How big is the tank? Is the sailfin bullying the blue?
The tank is a 70g with a 20g sump. We also have 2 clowns, a saddleback puffer, 2 damsels, and a snowflake eel. The sailfin usually leave the blue alone, except every few days they would swim circles around each other. But that only lasts for less than a minute, then they would go back to swimming around. As for readings I’m not sure as we don’t have a test kit. We have someone come out every 2 weeks to maintain the tank. And he checks water each time and as of a week ago all readings were good. We are going to take a water sample to our fish store where we’ve bought everything from . Also messaged the guy who maintains our tank and he suggested taking blue into the store so they can put her in a tank in back and Medicate her.

Last edited:
Back