Yellow sps completely faded.

angela223

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so i have a strawberry shortcake acropora and its completely lost all of its yellow colouring. Its literally just pink shades now. It still has its polyps out though. I know yellow colours depend on nutrients. Nitrate 2 and phosphate 0.02. But i was wondering if theres anything else thats involved? I have been struggling to keep my phosphate low. Its always around 0.04 and my nitrates are at 2. The problem is whenever I do a water change or use redsea Nopox, my nitrates goes to 0 while my phosphate goes to 0.02. So how do I reduce phosphate without reducing nitrate?

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthium chloride or GFO will reduce your phosphates.

But I personally would not reduce below the levels you are at now. How are you testing? If you don’t have significant algae growing, I’d believe those levels and look elsewhere for the color loss. It’s a balance of light, Alk, nutrients and stability of those. Then some coral just need some time to color back up after placing into your tank.

OP
OP
A

angela223

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh. could it be too much light? I have hyrdra hd 26. I have it 20 cm above water level. so the acro is about 30-40cm from the light

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is probably lighting. Spectrum, not quantity. Hydras alone do not make awesome acropora lights for a lot of folks... the benefits from adding T5s are widespread.

I have shortcake under about 750 PAR and it thrives.

All of this being said, most shortcakes are pink and green and do not have any yellow (unless you are black-lighting it). Are you sure that this coral is supposed to be yellow? Did you mean a pink lemonade, by chance?

OP
OP
A

angela223

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm weird. Cos i asked some ppl if hydras are good and they said its fine for acros. And yes its strawberry shortcake. It looked exactly like this. Even the lfs i bought it from said it was yellow when i went to pick it up in person.

698AFB7D-9D20-4665-85E5-D40257C2A1D3.jpeg

OP
OP
A

angela223

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be because my alk and nutrients are unstable? I do constantly have to add redsea alk buffer everyday because it keeps decreasing and my nutrients havnt been stable either. I always have to add nopox everyday as well.

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if shortcake is yellow, i have 3 different types in my tank and they all are bright pink tips with light greenish body. I also have another yellow acro which is bright yellow. Though im in Australia so we only get oz collected species.
DSC03967.JPG

phixman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light or spikes ( alk, salinity ) I too have a hydra 26 at max it reaches 400par about 10 inches off the water . Upgrading to radions xr30 g4 pro, expensive , but x2 light intensity , great for sps

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess the fish store you bought it from sold you a wild coral which looked yellow from shipping stress and what not. Now its changing to what it should look like. The only shortcake that looked slightly yellow was the old school original tabling kind with pink polyps and green body with not much pink in the branches at all. But most out now are the wild aussie ones that are mostly pink and green in the base.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who can say but i thought the same thing.. wild colony settling into less than perfect lights... LED only.

could be some form of micro nutrient as well. yellows are the toughest color from what i know.

come take a look at my awesome wild yellow colony. its floursecent green now :(

OP
OP
A

angela223

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pedoconfuego Um it cant be changing to what it should look like because it has completely faded to just 1 colour when before it had 2 colours. It was pink/ yellow before and now its just pink. The yellow/light green parts are all faded to a white/ grey so how can this be what its supposed to look like? Dosnt make sense

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pedoconfuego Um it cant be changing to what it should look like because it has completely faded to just 1 colour when before it had 2 colours. It was pink/ yellow before and now its just pink. The yellow/light green parts are all faded to a white/ grey so how can this be what its supposed to look like? Dosnt make sense
If it is a wild colony then all bets are off in terms of what color "it should be". If other corals in the tank are not experiencing color shifts then it is likely due to lighting. The majority of wild colonies transition into something bland.

This is all on top of the fact that this thing never really looked like a shortcake to many.

It is a credible hypothesis in terms of what is going on is all i am saying.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most coral have to expel their zoox and rebuild if they need to get back to their normal color. This is especially common with wild corals. This means a very pale phase, then light green (what a lot of people all yellow), darker green with hints of the true color and then back to the normal color.

That coral that you posted is A. Microladous which I do not think has ever come in a true yellow. Perhaps you have a different coral, but only a photo from your tank could tell.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking a coral thats actually supposed to be yellow is the hard part, they are not many around especially now. Keeping the yellow is all about nutrient and light strength and spectrum.

It may take months to go through the color changes and show what it really looks like in a tank, thats what I mean by changing. Without a picture of your fragment no one will be able to help you figure out what is really happening. I am just guessing.

James Johnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having zero nitrates and zero phosphates is not a healthy tank it is a starving tank. Nitrates at 2 are perfect, phosphates at 0.03-0.05 are perfect. I typically see shortcake fade and loose color in low PAR. This is a very high light coral and prefers about 450par.

OP
OP
A

angela223

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it looks like now lol. Just under white lights. You can see that all the pink is still there but the other colour completely gone. (bottom acro, not the top one)

48370058_330943931080973_1731255674400145408_n.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 76 47.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 51 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back