Yellow tang is dead, but is it my fault?

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello people! I bought a yellow tang and a purple tang on Saturday, I don’t have a QT in place so I know that’s the start of the problem, however they were dripped and acclimated correctly, Sunday I noticed white spots, I immediately went to my LFs, and got some polyp lab medic, and got my uv up and running Monday the yellow tang looked bad I knew what I was dealing with, Tuesday not as meny Visible spots but didn’t eat that day, this morning I checked the tank and low and behold it was dead, I understand the life cycle of white spot and how it affects the fish ect, but have I bought a bad fish in the first place? After only 3-4 days it’s contracted it, or already had it and died? Can it take so little time to kill the fish?

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say this isn't your fault directly. Being in commercial aquariums and LFS's, the fish probably had ich for some time. The stress of moving to your tank is the straw that broke the camels back.

FWIW, I've killed more fish in a quarantine than in display, namely tangs. The stress of QT and meds is too much for many fish in my opinion. I've had better success just buying quality fish straight from the distributor and bringing home as soon as they arrive at my LFS. The fish then skips the whole ordeal of being in a LFS tank etc.

OP
OP
rubertoe93

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I’ve heard that moving them once you see the problem is more stress and will kill it faster, I know a lot of people don’t QT and can’t due to space or cost,

I’ve since spoken to my lfs and they have also stated it isn’t directly my fault, and if they knew they wouldn’t of sold it to me, the purple tang has 60% less spots on it than yesterday and is eating like a trooper, so I think the yellow has had it previously and passed it on to the purple, just hoping that the purple is strong enough to fight it off

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I intend to purchase my livestock from LiveAquaria. They hold, in quarantine, their purchased items. I too have no place for a QT

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I intend to purchase my livestock from LiveAquaria. They hold, in quarantine, their purchased items. I too have no place for a QT
Your fooling yourself if you think LA actually QT's anything.

Their QT consists of holding till eating and thats it.

They ship dead, sick, full of ich, full of velvet, full of gods knows what fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back