Yellow Tang - Lymphocystis vs HLLE

JW_Reef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I recently noticed several large, white spots on my 6-year-old yellow tang. I’m wondering if this could be Lymphocystis in addition to its existing HLLE?

Over the past 3 years, I have observed & battled what I believe is HLLE on the tang’s head and lower dorsal. I have managed to slow the progression with increased water changes and improved diet. However, these new white spots look awfully suspicious.

I’m currently feeding Rod’s Food Original and Herbivore Blends, frozen mysis, & omega one green nori. However, I believe I could improve the type of veggie offerings. What do you guys think?

Thank You!!

IMG_4181.jpeg IMG_4182.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone, I recently noticed several large, white spots on my 6-year-old yellow tang. I’m wondering if this could be Lymphocystis in addition to its existing HLLE?

Over the past 3 years, I have observed & battled what I believe is HLLE on the tang’s head and lower dorsal. I have managed to slow the progression with increased water changes and improved diet. However, these new white spots look awfully suspicious.

I’m currently feeding Rod’s Food Original and Herbivore Blends, frozen mysis, & omega one green nori. However, I believe I could improve the type of veggie offerings. What do you guys think?

Thank You!!

IMG_4181.jpeg IMG_4182.jpeg
I dont see an issue with lympho which will represent cauliflower but appears to be either bacterial or skin irritation. Often it can be as simple as water quality issue or anemone sting. To best recommend what to do next, can use a couple of more closer pics under white light intensity to clearly see area

OP
OP
JW_Reef02

JW_Reef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see an issue with lympho which will represent cauliflower but appears to be either bacterial or skin irritation. Often it can be as simple as water quality issue or anemone sting. To best recommend what to do next, can use a couple of more closer pics under white light intensity to clearly see area
Appreciate the quick response! I’ll try to get a better picture and post it tomorrow.

Quite a few anemones in the tank plus an ever growing aggressive female maroon. I have my suspicions to say the least. TBD…

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the quick response! I’ll try to get a better picture and post it tomorrow.

Quite a few anemones in the tank plus an ever growing aggressive female maroon. I have my suspicions to say the least. TBD…

I've never seen Lymphocystis show up in a long term captive fish before - 100% of the cases I've seen were in fish that I had less than 6 months.

Jay

OP
OP
JW_Reef02

JW_Reef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen Lymphocystis show up in a long term captive fish before - 100% of the cases I've seen were in fish that I had less than 6 months.

Jay
I appreciate that insight Jay! Glad to hear I might be able to rule that out.

@vetteguy53081 - I agree with you in that I could improve water chemistry. Here are some better pics under better lighting. Almost looks like battles scars to me.

Attachments

• IMG_4211.jpeg
    IMG_4211.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4216.jpeg
    IMG_4216.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4219.jpeg
    IMG_4219.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 45

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

@vetteguy53081 - I agree with you in that I could improve water chemistry. Here are some better pics under better lighting. Almost looks like battles scars to me.
I see signs of stinging or punctures wounds, even bite marks. Stings would be anemone or euphyllia coral, puncture from urchin if you have one and bite marks . . . fish like clowns, or. . . what other fish do you have in this tank with tang?

OP
OP
JW_Reef02

JW_Reef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see signs of stinging or punctures wounds, even bite marks. Stings would be anemone or euphyllia coral, puncture from urchin if you have one and bite marks . . . fish like clowns, or. . . what other fish do you have in this tank with tang?
Bummer! There are no urchins in the tank but a decent amount of Euphyllia along with the nuisance orange bta. The fish I have in with the tang are the maroon clownfish pair (roughly 8 years old), melanurus wrasse, assessor’s basslet, springer damsel, tailspot blenny, yellow watchman goby, and a harlequin serpent.

Most of these fish have spent the majority of their lives together in this 75gallon. Although, back then the fish were smaller and the tank seemed much larger haha. I plan on upgrading to a 6 foot tank soon but the cost of one is definitely causing delays. For the time being I’m just enjoying the hobby and trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks again for your feedback!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So - in looking at these pictures again - that notch in the back of its dorsal fin aligns with some changed skin texture on the body below it - those are both signs of severe HLLE in this species.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bummer! There are no urchins in the tank but a decent amount of Euphyllia along with the nuisance orange bta. The fish I have in with the tang are the maroon clownfish pair (roughly 8 years old), melanurus wrasse, assessor’s basslet, springer damsel, tailspot blenny, yellow watchman goby, and a harlequin serpent.

Most of these fish have spent the majority of their lives together in this 75gallon. Although, back then the fish were smaller and the tank seemed much larger haha. I plan on upgrading to a 6 foot tank soon but the cost of one is definitely causing delays. For the time being I’m just enjoying the hobby and trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks again for your feedback!!
maroon clowns are notorious biters and as jay indicated- not ruling out HLLE

OP
OP
JW_Reef02

JW_Reef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maroon clowns are notorious biters and as jay indicated- not ruling out HLLE
Ah alright, I will keep a closer eye on the tank. It currently sits at my parents while I save for a larger tank for my house. I may have to take the maroons out if that’s the case. Love those fish but their personalities are rough

Appreciate your swift responses and help! Thank you as well @Jay Hemdal, I’ll take all the advice that I can get on this HLLE.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back