Yellow Watchman Goby injury

catlady25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Our yellow watchman goby has a hole in his body underneath his dorsal fin. We are not sure where it came from, but are thinking it might be a bacterial disease? It was not there this morning, and when we came home from work it was huge. He seems to be acting fine; he's still active, but our cleaner shrimp keeps harassing him and messing with his injury. I keep reading that cleaner shrimp won't harm your fish but he is getting very aggressive, to the point where we're kind of worrying for our goby's safety.

We currently do not have a QT setup, so are planning on treating the water with Imaginarium Bacterial Infection Remedy, because that's what we were able to get on short notice. It says to remove any active carbon filtration as that will remove the active ingredients, but I'm not sure if that means also turning off the protein skimmer, and if so for how long.

Our water parameters are:

temp: 78*F
NH3/NH4: 0.2 ppm (our ammonia alert tag inside the tank says the free ammonia levels are <0.02 ppm, so I'm not sure which to follow. We treated the tank with Seachem Prime just to be safe).
NO2: 0.2 ppm
NO3: 10 ppm
pH: 8.2
kH: 7 dkH

How would we potentially go about setting up an emergency QT tank? The main goal right now is to separate the cleaner shrimp and goby. What other treatment options might be available?

Thank you all so much!!

Goby.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello everyone,

Our yellow watchman goby has a hole in his body underneath his dorsal fin. We are not sure where it came from, but are thinking it might be a bacterial disease? It was not there this morning, and when we came home from work it was huge. He seems to be acting fine; he's still active, but our cleaner shrimp keeps harassing him and messing with his injury. I keep reading that cleaner shrimp won't harm your fish but he is getting very aggressive, to the point where we're kind of worrying for our goby's safety.

We currently do not have a QT setup, so are planning on treating the water with Imaginarium Bacterial Infection Remedy, because that's what we were able to get on short notice. It says to remove any active carbon filtration as that will remove the active ingredients, but I'm not sure if that means also turning off the protein skimmer, and if so for how long.

Our water parameters are:

temp: 78*F
NH3/NH4: 0.2 ppm (our ammonia alert tag inside the tank says the free ammonia levels are <0.02 ppm, so I'm not sure which to follow. We treated the tank with Seachem Prime just to be safe).
NO2: 0.2 ppm
NO3: 10 ppm
pH: 8.2
kH: 7 dkH

How would we potentially go about setting up an emergency QT tank? The main goal right now is to separate the cleaner shrimp and goby. What other treatment options might be available?

Thank you all so much!!

Goby.jpg
Injury or bite. What other occupants are in your tank?
This is one to keep an eye on as its red and may be getting infected. May not be a bad idea to obtain seachem Kanaplex as if treatment is warranted- you will have it available.

OP
OP
C

catlady25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Injury or bite. What other occupants are in your tank?
This is one to keep an eye on as its red and may be getting infected. May not be a bad idea to obtain seachem Kanaplex as if treatment is warranted- you will have it available.
Currently it is just the goby, skunk cleaner shrimp, and two snails. I will go out tomorrow and get Kanaplex! Every store in our area is currently closed.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back