Yet another dino thread with questions. This one claiming victory. Didy treatment win or was I lucky?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initial parameters:

Phos<.01
Nitrate between 2-5ppm
Ammo 0
Sg 1.026
Temp 79

I had GHA that suddenly became a dino trap. They started there, then hit my rocks. And my gravel, then my glass to a smaller degree.

Turned off my algae scrubber. Put my skimmer on an 8 hr timer. Kept my lights blasting and over fed the tank.

For one week, I dusted with a turkey baster and let it all ride through the UV sterilizer. Every day they came back.

When I reached 15 NO3 and .02 phos (required a couple of small doses). I read the @SunnyX thread about DIY coral snow.

I decided to keep everything how it was. But to dose DIY coral snow.

I dosed 5 ml of snow w/ MB7 immediately after turkey basting. With the return pumps off for only the 20 minutes my return pump controller setting allows, I let the snow do its thing. In less than 4 days, there were zero dinos. A week later it stays that way.

What I am wondering, did the coral snow with MB7 facilitate the expedience? Where is my 12 month dino flaggelate battle? I'm not complaining. I'm notorious for stripping nutrients out of understocked tanks. But I've never whipped dinos this fast and easy.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Initial parameters:

Phos<.01
Nitrate between 2-5ppm
Ammo 0
Sg 1.026
Temp 79

I had GHA that suddenly became a dino trap. They started there, then hit my rocks. And my gravel, then my glass to a smaller degree.

Turned off my algae scrubber. Put my skimmer on an 8 hr timer. Kept my lights blasting and over fed the tank.

For one week, I dusted with a turkey baster and let it all ride through the UV sterilizer. Every day they came back.

When I reached 15 NO3 and .02 phos (required a couple of small doses). I read the @SunnyX thread about DIY coral snow.

I dosed 5 ml of snow w/ MB7 immediately after turkey basting. With the return pumps off for only the 20 minutes my return feeder setting allows, I let the snow do its thing. In less than 4 days, there were zero dinos. A week later it stays that way.

What I am wondering, did the coral snow with MB7 facilitate the expedience? Where is my 12 month dino flaggelate battle? I'm not complaining. I'm notorious for stripping nutrients out of understocked tanks. But I've never whipped dinos this fast and easy.
Mb7 likely outcompeted the dino cells and smart move on the scrubber as it allowed nitrates to increase and coral snow did what it should and phos if anything remained steady or increased slightly which is what you wanted.
Blowing the cells loose allowed the skimmer to collect the matter- In future empty skimmer cup daily in case the gunk would revert back to tank- you dont reintroduce the cells.
When the dino has consumed the po4 and no3 and are multiplying and in turn many dose no3 and po4 to bring numbers up not realizing they are feeding these flagellates even more. This is the reason we see numbers get to Zero.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same recipe with similar results. Sand is pearly white and mostly green algae on rocks that is slowly going away.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initial parameters:

Phos<.01
Nitrate between 2-5ppm
Ammo 0
Sg 1.026
Temp 79

I dosed 5 ml of snow w/ MB7 immediately after turkey basting. With the return pumps off for only the 20 minutes my return pump controller setting allows, I let the snow do its thing. In less than 4 days, there were zero dinos. A week later it stays that way.

Just luck I think. Next time it could be more diffucult with the same cure

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same recipe with similar results. Sand is pearly white and mostly green algae on rocks that is slowly going away.
It was an incredible response I haven't seen in other battles with dinos. The only difference was the DIY snow w/MB7. Full disclosure, I have never put dinos under a microscope. They were Dino's. I just don't know what species.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back