Yet another Dinoflagellate ID - Ostreopsis?

A-A-ron11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo and 2 videos of what I think are ostreopsis dinoflagellates. I took these using an iPhone through the eyepiece of a nice Leica microscope at my work. Can someone help confirm if they are indeed ostreopsis? I've read a lot of the main dinoflagellate thread so I'm just looking to narrow down my treatment options.

A quick history on my dino outbreak. My dinoflagellate bloom started after my tank went through a really rough month following getting our hard wood floors refinished in another part of the house. Despite several vapor barriers between the hard wood floors and the aquarium room, something leached into the tank which stopped photosynthesis for a couple days (no pH swings) and a large bacterial bloom followed.I was doing 30% water changes every week for 5 weeks (along with some more significant water changes following the incident) to get whatever was in my aquarium which was causing my corals to slowly decline, out. I finally turned that around and my corals were recovering nicely (and still are for the most part) but I allowed my nitrates to drop to zero for a couple weeks and then the dino bloom started. I also have nuisance cyano on the sand bed which I've tried fighting back with vacuuming the sanded during water changes.

IMG_7256.jpg

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to get an id? They look a lot like ostreopsis dinoflagellates to me, but I'm not sure if there are other species it could be.

On a side note. That's a nice picture. I really need to get a microscope.

OP
OP
A-A-ron11

A-A-ron11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to get an id? They look a lot like ostreopsis dinoflagellates to me, but I'm not sure if there are other species it could be.

On a side note. That's a nice picture. I really need to get a microscope.
I didn't get a positive idea from anyone. However I was reasonably sure it was Ostreopsis and I followed the recommended treatment. Ultimately I bought a UV sterilizer which solved the problem for me. The corals are happy once again :)

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh good! Glad you got it taken care of!

Sorry no one responded. People are normally super fast. I think they're still working on some kinks for some of the filtering options with the new site.

Have you said hello in the meet and greet section?

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry no one responded for you originally, but your post just helped me identify my Dinos, so thank you!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%

Back