Yet another pH/CO2 scrubber question

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I've been monitoring my pH (Pinpoint monitor), I watch it fluctuate between day and night, as you'd expect. However it's usually around 8.07 during the day, with the lights on and around 7.9 at night. Granted, everything looks fine*, but that still seems somewhat low from what I read. Also, my alk consumption is low as well. I only add some soda ash once a week or so and very, very rarely add calcium. If it makes a difference, my target alk is around 8, maybe that's keeping the pH down.
I did the cup test. The pH in the tank was 8.07 and remained the same after an hour of aerating indoors. However, when done outside, the pH jumped to 8.3. These tests were done with the Pinpoint and verified with an API test.

Considering that for $50 I can get the cheap BRS scrubber and media, I'm wondering if it's worth doing that or if 7.9-8.07 is fine (or nudging up the alk number).

*I think, I'm still somewhat new to all this

OP
OP
J

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you looked into running the skimmers air intake line to the outside?
I've thought about it, but short of drilling a hole through the side of my house or leaving a window open, there's not a good way.
My furnace has a fresh air intake (common in houses built in the last 20 years or so). It's designed so that when you turn on something that expels air (ie bathroom/stove exhaust), makeup air can be drawn through it and through your furnace filter instead of finding it's own way in which could be through your dirty/dusty/hot attic or though any gaps in your foundation/slab, which could bring radon in with it.
Anyway, I gave some consideration for running a line down to the basement, into that intake and out the side of the house, but it seemed like over kill.
Plus, I'd rather just spend the $50 on a scrubber and media. It seems like an easier idea and doesn't require a hole in my house or an open window.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of thoughts here:
  • Your skimmer may not be able to outcompete your aeration from powerheads and return pumps. So you may also need to upgrade your skimmer.
  • Increased alk will provide an increase in pH. Looking at your #s 8dKH and 7.9ph puts you tank pCO2 at roughly 1000. If you increase your dKH to say 11, you pH would be at 8.05 NBS.
  • With a 8dKH and your cup aeration test showing same pH, I believe your pH monitor is reading low. Getting over 800ppm CO2 indoors is possible, but unlikely. Most houses are between 600 and 800ppm. With 800ppm CO2, you pH should be closer to 8. Your pH meters accuracy may just be +/- 0.1 NBS.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back