Yet another red algae idenntificationn thread...

Tim Macke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this show up on some rock from Arcreef. Thought I had it removed, but now it's all over, and will get long (like up to a foot) in no time. Can anybody identify the red fern-like algae in this pic?

20171112_094517.jpg

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard it called "Red Fern" macro algae. Hard to get rid of. The roots get deep into the LR. Have you tried H2O2?

OP
OP
T

Tim Macke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard it called "Red Fern" macro algae. Hard to get rid of. The roots get deep into the LR. Have you tried H2O2?
Not yet. Just started a cycle of fluconazole last night. What's the best way to use peroxide, if it comes to that?

Edit: looking at pics of red fern macroalgae, I don't think it's that. Red fern all shows multiple branches from a single stalk, where what I have, in every case, is a single plant with no branches from root to tip.

OP
OP
T

Tim Macke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has that feathery bryopsis look, but the red color...hmm. Dunno.

This was exactly my first thought, which led to the fluconazole attempt. I only have mediocre hopes where that's concerned, though, because who ever heard of red bryopsis?

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want them in my tank :) well I don't plan or get into SPS stuff so these would look cool in a clam tank, imagine a foot long aglae waving along tank flow movement :p
I used to have a freshwater planted tank filled with Hornwort Plant lol this red algae remind me about those hornwort.

OP
OP
T

Tim Macke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want them in my tank :) well I don't plan or get into SPS stuff so these would look cool in a clam tank, imagine a foot long aglae waving along tank flow movement :p
I used to have a freshwater planted tank filled with Hornwort Plant lol this red algae remind me about those hornwort.
I think my poor snail would gladly give it all to you. Yep, that's all growing off its shell.

20171117_165921[1].jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back