You want a fish that eats coral???

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I do!

I'm looking for a fish that will eat button polyps (those brown/green palys that grow very quickly). I'm not sure how they got into my system but they have taken over a lot of open space that I'd prefer have other things. I set up a 20gal tank and am looking for a fish that I can have in there that will eat the polyps as I swap rocks in and out.

Any suggestion??

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to want to keep other types of coral?

OP
OP
RyanSweet

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker, not in the small tank. I have a 75gal mixed reef and I setup the 20gal just for this purpose. It's cycled with 3 rocks full of the polyps I'm looking to rid now. The plan is to swap rocks out when they get "bare". I know that they won't get eaten completely but as long as I can change the rocks out, I'm happy with that.

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic acid bath would wipe the lot out without getting any fish at all. Plus you would not have to worry about any surviving. Downside is yes it will kill everything and will take some time after it is done. You will need to clean rocks down well and soak in ro water fir a few weeks changing water twice a week. The key is not introducting it back to your system until you are sure it is not leach any p04 from the die off of everything. After some time in your system it will reseed and be fresh and full of life without any bad things.

OP
OP
RyanSweet

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about the acid bath (that's how I've cleaned old rock before), but if I could have a cool fish in a species specific tank, that I could just change out rock with my main tank, would be pretty cool.

I've never seen a rabbitfish eat polyps before, I'll have to look around a bit. Another forum I'm on suggested an African flameback angel. It seems pretty legit on the softie eating program and is an attractive fish.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
RyanSweet

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have suggestions aside from file fish or the African flameback?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an African flameback and he didn't touch zoas or palys. He did like acans which is why he is now in a friends tank.

KorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to choose between a file fish and dwarf angelfish. Definitely choose the file fish. Both are hit or miss. But I've had a file fish go to town on coral once they ate the majority of aptasia. Ended up eating a bunch of nice colored zoas before I even noticed.

Jeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My African flame back doesn't mess with any coral in my mixed reef. From my research they were the safest of the dwarf angels.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back