Yuma and Ricordia what is the main difference

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering if you can tell me the difference between the Yuma and the Rics? sorry new to this coral can you keep both together in a nano without war breaking out?

acrotrdco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both belong to the genre "Ricordia", the rics we called are actually named "Ricordia Florida" and the yuma's are named "Ricordia Yuma".

Yumas usually don't have these distinctive bubbles on their surface, except on the edge, whereas rics are covered in bubbles on the entire surface.

Yuma:
Ricordia_Yuma_Red_ps.jpg

p-80547-ricordea-coral.jpg

Ric:
06_ricordea_bild1.jpg

Rainbow-Ricordia-1.jpg

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also in my experience, yumas tend to be more temperamental to light and sensitivity to the tank parameters. Rics tend to be a little cheaper and easier to reproduce. Both are awesome to have though and come in tons of great colors!

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked at both as the yumas are stunning and tend to be more $$ as well. From what I have read they are VERY temperamental and don't have very good long term success. But they are stunning. Maybe some people who have successfully kept Yumas can chime in?

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW-speaking of stunning-acrotrdco-where did you get the pic of the Ric Florida on the bottom? I have never seen any quite that amazing!

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first-big thanks for the phot comparisons, my roomates a 'shroom guy and gets ticked (edit:eek:ops, used a naughty word) that I can't ever remember what the difference between the types are.

We have a few Yuma's in our frag tank that we've been growing out for about a year now, and several of them have cast off pups but the pups are taking their sweet time growing, algae growth overgrowing the pups hasn't helped by any means though. Here's a few random pics...

GreenPopYuma.jpg

02091105.jpg

PinkYuma2.jpg

Yumas.jpg

and what I now can see the difference in-a random Ric in my display
OrangeRic.jpg

AquaSD always has some really sweet Rics, I just wish I had a bigger tank that was more suitable to growing them out, I have a problem with too much light blinding them and causing them to all shrivel up.

YellowRic.jpg

This guy is now barely a sliver, really need to get him moved somewhere more into the shade, but need more real-estate for that to happen...ho hum the problems reefers have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RogerWilco357

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome pictures man I like both types and really like the colors very nice corals you have their. good job

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yumas don't seem to be temperamental at all. I have moved them around to 3 different tanks all with different lighting from T5 to MH and they are growing like wildfire to tell you the truth. I have given quite a few away and still have 20-30 polyps. All grown from one polyp about a year and a half ago.......my florida rics are the ones that grow SLOW!!

yuma.jpg

Last edited:

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked at both as the yumas are stunning and tend to be more $$ as well. From what I have read they are VERY temperamental and don't have very good long term success. But they are stunning. Maybe some people who have successfully kept Yumas can chime in?

Yumas can be temperamental, but you can still keep them. I would not buy them as new arrivals, they are definitely a coral you want to watch and let settle in after the stress of shipping. Even after that things can be going seemingly well and then just melt on you. After they settle in though they can become quite hardy. I've had one particular yuma for about 8 years now, gone thru a couple tank moves with no issues; dropped numerous babies.
In my tanks I keep them down on the sandbed under some overhang or in a cave in lower light zones.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back