Zero nitrate :S

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always struggled with low nitrate 5-10 (max) unfortunately all fish died recently due to ICH. then hints of dino algae on the sand bottom, and after a nitrate test it shows 0. what do I do now? have no fish and can't introduce anyone for months. can i add pellets right into the sump which will break down and increase the nitrate? (I dont use skimmer, have a little bit alge)

Screenshot_20230625_190112_Gallery.jpg

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dealt with Dino’s for a long time. I had to directly dose Nitrate and Phosphate manually using neonitro and neophos.

Blackouts do not help with Dino’s. While it may provide temporary relief, they will just wait for conditions to improve and come back.

It is also recommended to buy a microscope to ID the specific type of Dino’s you are dealing with. Some will need UV treatment and some silicate dosing.

The attached guide helped me immensely.

Attachments

• Dealing With Dinos - Rev G - Published Feb 2022.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 23
OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dino (if its dino) and zero nitrate happend after the fish died. Cant introduse new fish becuse the ich os probably living in the sand. Will reising the nitrate solve the problem, and how do i do it with out fish. Feed Food in the tank?

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dino (if its dino) and zero nitrate happend after the fish died. Cant introduse new fish becuse the ich os probably living in the sand. Will reising the nitrate solve the problem, and how do i do it with out fish. Feed Food in the tank?
Did you read the post above? Either buy bottled nitrate and phosphate that you can dose or ghost feed. Probably more efficient just to buy the bottles for dosing.

And no, nitrate alone does not solve the problem directly. Nitrate and phosphate allows other organisms/algae to grow and live to compete against the Dino’s

OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20230630_140220_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230630_140303_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230630_140015_Gallery.jpg

Not sure if this is dino/canon bacteria. Still have 0 in nitrate, but there hsr appeared a lot of pinaple sponges, and it grows well with algae. all the fish died after the ICH outbreak, but I couldn't find the last chromis, it may be that this is what led to the algae bloom in combination with the fact that I increased the brightness of the lamps (measured with a couple of meters and the light was far too weak)
stands at a crossroads, either lower the nutrition in the water or increase it, i dont know

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are fishless, dosing ammonium might be a better option to get nitrogen to the corals in your tank. Dr. RHF has a recipe on a thread in the chemistry forum.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back