zoa colony intruder

Mastertrcky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure what this is but it doesnt look too good.. any ID help would be great.. also thoughts on what to do if it is bad.
2013-01-10 10.57.37.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm not sure what that might be.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks kinda like a small cowrie to me. Really not sure if it is though. They're a type of algae-eating snail whose mantle often covers the top of the shell when it is out and feeding. They can have those protrusions too. The thing that concerns me is that those protrusions seem like they're attached to the polyps, and that shouldn't happen with a cowrie. Does this thing move at all and does it seem to have a hard shell? Weird weird weird...

Cruezn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell what it is either, but am inclined to say its a sponge. For me, when in doubt, I remove it. I'd cut it/scrape it off, do a coral dip in revive or something similar, place back in tank and watch it. Just my $.02 worth.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks kinda like a small cowrie to me. Really not sure if it is though. They're a type of algae-eating snail whose mantle often covers the top of the shell when it is out and feeding. They can have those protrusions too. The thing that concerns me is that those protrusions seem like they're attached to the polyps, and that shouldn't happen with a cowrie. Does this thing move at all and does it seem to have a hard shell? Weird weird weird...

+1, i would be concerned over those protrusions as well since they are attached to polyps like that and might impede growth but I am not sure what it is.

Do the zoas seem to be bothered by it or do they still open normally?

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tubed feet-like parts make me want to believe that it is in the Echinoderm family. Does it have really small spines on it of any kind? Are the "feet" moving or always stuck in the same spots?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mastertrcky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always in the the same spot. It does have tentacles all over it's body and I have seen them feel around and It looks like it might be pulling on the polyps a little but the still are opening up for now. And it does look to be spongish, no shell that I can see. It's just brown, looks to be soft, with a bunch of tentacles... It's very bizarre.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 125 75.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back