Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1609870882796.png
1609870893302.png

Slightly brighter color in person, but not much. Mixed colors on the polyps. Do they look like anything in particular to anyone? Got them as a no-name from a site that sells most of its zoas as no-names. Also picked up some pink candy apples.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got them from SaltCritters. They have a lot of no-name zoas (even some I recognize as having a name), and only rarely have named frags. Their photography color isn't always the best, but they have good prices. Great assortment of baby rock flower anemones. I've ordered from them a few times, and recommend them! Though their frags always tend to have "stuff" (pineapple sponges, feather dusters, other sponges, algae bits, etc) on them, and a bit of gunk in the bag. Nothing harmful yet. I guess they just have really mature growout tanks.

They're actually who I got my still-unidentified, neat, slightly metallic zoas from.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoas look pretty pale, as if they’re unhealthy. I think that as they sit in your tank you’ll find that they’ll color up since that color spectrum isn’t really available for zoas. My prediction is Pluto’s Passion by August :)

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They're an interesting sort of pale yellow under just the room lights, without any blues from the tank. I thought the place had sent the wrong zoas before I put them under the light. They still look almost yellowish from the side, and the stems are nearly white. They do look a bit bleached, now that I take a look at them with that thought in mind.

I'll update if they do anything notable color-wise. Hopefully they're healthy enough to not just melt from shipping stress. They opened fast, at least.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're an interesting sort of pale yellow under just the room lights, without any blues from the tank. I thought the place had sent the wrong zoas before I put them under the light. They still look almost yellowish from the side, and the stems are nearly white. They do look a bit bleached, now that I take a look at them with that thought in mind.

I'll update if they do anything notable color-wise. Hopefully they're healthy enough to not just melt from shipping stress. They opened fast, at least.
Zoas are very prone to color morphing due to lighting, they look very open and the flesh looks healthy. Don’t sweat about it, they should color up in the next couple months

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They opened up nice and fast. In the acclimation container, no less!

Should I see if they'll accept food, or is it better to leave them alone entirely while they recover?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They opened up nice and fast. In the acclimation container, no less!

Should I see if they'll accept food, or is it better to leave them alone entirely while they recover?
It doesn’t make a huge difference, reefroids never hurt but I’m not sure how much benefit they would be

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely bleached. They're starting to regain some color, though I can't get it to show up in pics. For now it's just a more intense version of the prior colors. Pink rims, blue discs. I'm very curious what these turn out to be. I won't update this thread with five million "they have slightly more color now" posts, but I'll try to remember to update once I get a photo that has a clearly visible change. And we'll see what they are in August.

Pluto's Passion are nice. I hope you're right. And it'd be darn impressive if you were! If that's what these are, they're really faded.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its likely a wild variety that came in on a rock from whatever farm they have. They might as well sell them....hopefully cheap. They look a bit like they are getting too much light.

Just keep them on an isolated rock so in the event they grow like crazy and you find them an eyesore you can trade them with a reef shop real easy.

If you want them to grow feed them roids or drop some brine shrimp on them. Acclimation really just depends on tank conditions. Ive had zoas open up immediately and gobble down food.

ReefJunkie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked these up also. They seem very similar

Attachments

• 6CFAD049-DAF2-4441-AD76-30A6EC378349.png
    6CFAD049-DAF2-4441-AD76-30A6EC378349.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They do look really similar. Are those from SaltCritters? Wonder if they might actually be the same thing.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
zop.png
zap.jpg

That's what they look like now. Color is more accurate in that first picture, at least to my eye.

@footgal any thoughts on ID now? They seem to have stopped changing color, so I think they're done.
Also, I'm still trying to get these- are they called Lemon Crush palys?- grown out. I hope to have a frag ready by early October, when it should be cool enough to ship confidently. They've finally started growing somewhat recently, took 'em a bit. When I do send them, would you like a chunk of whatever these are? I've got spares.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, hey, that looks about right. The pictures online are all of them under super blue lights, and I prefer a whiter light, but that definitely looks like the same thing. Neat.
You know, the dramatic names that zoas get are kinda silly, but that one's not half bad.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zop.png
zap.jpg

That's what they look like now. Color is more accurate in that first picture, at least to my eye.

@footgal any thoughts on ID now? They seem to have stopped changing color, so I think they're done.
Also, I'm still trying to get these- are they called Lemon Crush palys?- grown out. I hope to have a frag ready by early October, when it should be cool enough to ship confidently. They've finally started growing somewhat recently, took 'em a bit. When I do send them, would you like a chunk of whatever these are? I've got spares.
Utter peace :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back