Zoa placement

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have three zoa frags. The first, is always open, seems quite satisfied. The second is starting to open up more, I moved it a little bit away from the higher flow in my tank. The third is still in higher flow and not completely open . Do zoas not like higher flow? It's starting to seem that way. Also, can I feed them? What can I feed them? And how?
Also I adjusted some stuff with my light too, they seem to like less white lights. Is that a good thing?

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience they do not need to be fed, but if it tickles your fancy you can.

I have found them to do best in low to medium lighting (so middle to bottom of the tank) in low to moderate flow. I've noticed that they do not fully open for me if they're getting blasted by the powerhead too much.

garethwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah mid flow, mid lights and you should be good.
Ive never heard of anyone target feeding zoas, its not neccessary and will probably just get them trampled by your livestock.

Dont be surprised if 2of3 frags go bananas while certain ones will just shrivel up and die.. until recently I couldnt keep green zoas alive for more than a week!
Ive had red/blue morphs since i started that cover anything it can reach, and the same zoas die in my friends tank?

If you do successfully grow a certain type you can frag swap with a local reefer club to get a good garden going without so much heartache : )

OPtasia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my Zoas eat, some don't. All of my palys eat. All seem to like nutrient rich water with low to medium light and medium flow.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had zoas in very high flow without issue. I personally have not seen any benefit from feeding.

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are super diverse meaning that what one zoa likes another might not. But, they are all pretty resilient and can live in a wide range of lighting and flow. Best thing to do is find a place and let them settle in for a week or two. If they aren't fully opening or start to stretch then move them to a different location and let them settle in. Some zoas color up really nicely under brighter light while some wash out. It honestly is one of the more fun things about zoas is how they color up in your tank.

I feed my zoas a couple of times a week with Reef Roids or blow the cloudy water from frozen food on them. You'll figure out the ones that show a feeding response (typically the Paly types) vs. the ones that just don't care.

Side note: I dip all my Zoas. They probably have the most pests of all the corals even though they can be tough. I usually Bayer dip my frags, but ran out and have been doing a Fresh Water/Lugols Dip that works well. But, even just a fresh water dip will get some of the baddies.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 165 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back