Zoas melting and other corals going down

CathyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zoas are melting and now my candy cane coral and bubble are looking bad. The ammonia is a 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is 0 and PH is 8.2, the SG is 2.5 and the calcium is 500.

I have done 2 large water changes in the past two weeks to try and correct. The only difference has been that I was using a different salt. I changed from DD H2Ocean Pro+ to Instant Ocean Reef Crystal. My propeller to mix the salt water broke so my LFS gave me a used powerhead. And I had started using purple-up when I changed salt but I have stopped adding that.

There is no large algae outbreak but a little more red algae on the sand and glass. Oh and a stomatella snail died last night!

Any help would be great! I am going to also take a water sample to my LFS.

Helifreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I'm a beginner but I have read that strong led can melt zoas and candy cane coral.

OP
OP
C

CathyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the zoas that are melting
IMG_2735.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2731.jpg
    IMG_2731.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_2733.jpg
    IMG_2733.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 337

oceangirl2009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really sure what to tell you, but I would dip in something like coralrx daily until you see it come back. I've saved a couple of corals this way.

OP
OP
C

CathyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a test kit for the alk, mag and phospate but I took a sample to the LFS and they said everything was good. They recommended carbon in the sump. They thought my SG was closer to 1.029 than whay I am showing on my refractometer.

Ninjapotamus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to say for sure without knowing more about your setup but from my experience 9/10 times when zoas are melting the issue is a lack of nutrients(too clean). your large water changes are probably making the matters worse not better for the zoas.

Last edited:

always reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity at 1.029 is way to high. Add RO/DI water very slowly and lower to 1.024-1.025. Also you need a test kit to test for ALK, very important you know what your level is. What is your ALK?

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I think that the candy canes look fine they look turgid,the zoas look like they are just closed up,maybe they are just irritated. Did you bring any new livestock into you tank recently?

OP
OP
C

CathyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new livestock. The only change at all was the type of salt that I was using. I will try to pick up a test kit today for the ALK.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new livestock. The only change at all was the type of salt that I was using. I will try to pick up a test kit today for the ALK.

the only test kits I own are alk, mag, calcium. if the prams are fine with these everything else will be fine.

I am guessing wou went to a "reef salt" and mag jumped

Dre59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity at 1.029 is way to high. Add RO/DI water very slowly and lower to 1.024-1.025. Also you need a test kit to test for ALK, very important you know what your level is. What is your ALK?

+1

What else are you dosing into the tank? 2 part, etc.. etc....

Also is your LFS using API test kit? You might want to have another member test your levels with a better test kit IMO.

We will need numbers of your results..

Last edited:

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see Cyanobacteria all over your sandbed. Poor flow and high nutrients and lighting may be the cause.
500 ca is high. I've been using Reef Crystals for 3 years and IMO its a good mix.
Just so you know.......zoas melt, period!! It doesn't always mean there is anything wrong with your tank :)

OP
OP
C

CathyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally figured it out. I have a large amount of spaghetti worms that are irratating my zoas and candy cane.

Scoly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't think that's the problem. I agree that your salinity is way to high. I would get that down slowly, then retest

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when checking your salinity make sure your refractometer is also calibrated.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 115 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back