Zoas not opening!

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put some zoas in my tank 2 days ago and some are opening up and some are not what could be the issue or is this normal?

image.jpg

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the fluval 13.5 gallon with stock lighting. salinity at 1.024, no ammonia, no nitrite, 0 nitrate been testing daily. No phosphate and ph fluctuates between 7.8-8

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been running for ab 2 months just added fish and coral have cycled with ammonia and beneficial bacteria some of my zoas in the tank are doing great!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been running for ab 2 months just added fish and coral have cycled with ammonia and beneficial bacteria some of my zoas in the tank are doing great!
Not all zoas are the same difficulty level. Some are extremely sensitive and your tank is new and likely not on the stable side of the spectrum.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the fluval 13.5 gallon with stock lighting. salinity at 1.024, no ammonia, no nitrite, 0 nitrate been testing daily. No phosphate and ph fluctuates between 7.8-8
You should measure your alk, cal and mag daily for a couple weeks to see how the readings differ.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should measure your alk, cal and mag daily for a couple weeks to see how the readings differ.
Also they have started opening up more since I posted this this morning so maybe I should just give them time I moved them to a lower flow side of the tank in less light aswell because I felt they were getting a little too much

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also they have started opening up more since I posted this this morning so maybe I should just give them time I moved them to a lower flow side of the tank in less light aswell because I felt they were getting a little too much
I have the same set up for my invert QT tank, and my zoos are doing fine with that lighting. They are actually growing pretty fast. As someone pointed out, it might be a bit too clean for them. When did you set this tank up? And is that dry or live rock?

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s dry rock and I set it up about 2 months ago. However I just added fish a few days ago so it may take time for my nitrates to get up.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s dry rock and I set it up about 2 months ago. However I just added fish a few days ago so it may take time for my nitrates to get up.
Did you ever have an ammonia spike? How did you cycle it? You have algae on the rocks, so I suspect that you have some nitrates. It could be something as simple as the flow in your tank that they are not happy with. Are other corals doing ok?

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never recorded an ammonia spike and I’ve been doing tests daily since I added fish however I left my tank alone for a while after I added rocks beneficial bacteria and sand. Some of my other coral is doing good including some other zoas.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never recorded an ammonia spike and I’ve been doing tests daily since I added fish however I left my tank alone for a while after I added rocks beneficial bacteria and sand. Some of my other coral is doing good including some other zoas.
Sometimes you just need time with corals. Try running just the blue light on it for a day or two, and see how they react. My newer zoos, don't like the brighter settings on that light.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back