Zoas not opening

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had algae on my punk rocker colony and dipped them in peroxide. They were closed up like you mentioned, after the dip they shed an outer layer of skin and are back to new again. The algae is probably irritating them and causing them not to open. Follow as above mention as well.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do peroxide dipping just be very careful with time make sure you dilute the hydrogen peroxide and you don’t leave them in there for too long as it can permanently damage the coral... and they coral may or may not open up for a few days after treatment, it may also take multiple treatments to eradicate the algae...

OP
OP
Aqauclear

Aqauclear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you do it gently you will hurt them. If they carry palytoxin they will release it since it's under duress and possibly stress your fish out in you don't run carbon. All it will do it's end up bugging the coral more since it's a "softy." I would rather him bast it or do a FW or other dip as you mentioned, or even a water change after basting them.

EDIT: OP post some pictures please, preferably in white lights.

15952829601592936895586530386980.jpg

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like dead skin
The issue is flow. Not enough flow. I turkey baste my zoas at least once a day sometimes twice. And they get blasted with flow. A furan 2 dip series does wonders. Add one packet to one cup of tank water for ten minutes for two or three days. This will resolve the film and and bacterial issues or brown looking algae. If they are covered in green hair algae a diluted peroxide dip for a few minutes will solve the green hair algae and avoid submerging the tip of the polyps

Jamesrup0411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do dose
iodine, I've tried to dip them with it but nothing happend. My test kit doesn't get the exact amount of phosphate, I do have reef crystals tho. I put a phosphate sponge two days ago might of not gotten all the phosphates?
.8 or .008?

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually don’t look that bad. A furan dip once max twice. Then place them right in front of some flow and give them a few days. Avoid a toothbrush. Pick up a turkey baster from the grocery store. It is one one my most used tools from zoa maintenance to cleaning rock of detritus etc

Last edited:

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would also agree with the poster above me, Turkey bast them, give it some flow, they don't look too bad,i dont even think they need a dip, i don't see any algae really(picture is blue so it's kinda hard to tell) but they don't look that bad, add them to a medium flow section of the tank with medium lighting and they should open up. Zoas also don't really like the sand, i don't think that's causing the issue, but unlike palys, zoas don't absorb the sand.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also agree with the poster above me, Turkey bast them, give it some flow, they don't look too bad,i dont even think they need a dip, i don't see any algae really(picture is blue so it's kinda hard to tell) but they don't look that bad, add them to a medium flow section of the tank with medium lighting and they should open up. Zoas also don't really like the sand, i don't think that's causing the issue, but unlike palys, zoas don't absorb the sand.
Flow might help them to open if not a furan dip will remove the film that looks like skin that is preventing them from opening

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a skimmer and 1 powerhead and a hob fliter it that enough flow
What size tank, how many GPH is the powerhead and filter rated for?

Flow might help them to open if not a furan dip will remove the film that looks like skin that is preventing them from opening
I agree it could help, but based on the picture, i personally wouldn't stress them anymore and just go with the flow route. It's does look like some dead skin, but i can't really tell hence why i can't say to dip it encase it stresses it out more. If we had a picture under more white lights i could give a more for sure answer on that. So im going the safe route :)

OP
OP
Aqauclear

Aqauclear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank, how many GPH is the powerhead and filter rated for?

I agree it could help, but based on the picture, i personally wouldn't stress them anymore and just go with the flow route. It's does look like some dead skin, but i can't really tell hence why i can't say to dip it encase it stresses it out more. If we had a picture under more white lights i could give a more for sure answer on that. So im going the safe route :)

15952838751647560402186371290278.jpg

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So thats green hair algae or green slim. All you need to do is add them to more flow, or just add another powerhead to your tank, lower your phosphates and nitrates a bit and all will be good. You don't need to dip, just use a turkey baster and blow all that crap off :)
This happens as detritus builds up in dead spots or low flow zones with higher nutrient water. Nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
Aqauclear

Aqauclear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So thats green hair algae or green slim. All you need to do is add them to more flow, or just add another powerhead to your tank, lower your phosphates and nitrates a bit and all will be good. You don't need to dip, just use a turkey baster and blow all that crap off :)
This happens as detritus builds up in dead spots or low flow zones with higher nutrient water. Nothing to worry about.
Turkey baster broke

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if Kanaplex be used as a substitute for Furan 2 for zoa dipping?

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to get another powerhead and a Turkey baster I'll do a water change and see what happens then.
Try moving them up on a rock too so they can spread. Like i said on another post, i didn't think it was the issue, but zoas don't like sand. :) Hope it all works out well :)

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 540 gph with the powerhead and fliter plus the skimmer good?
How many gallons is your tank? You need a 6-10 times turnover ratio minimum. Some even like higher, especially if you run/want to run SPS. So for example if your tank is 10 gallons you want between 60 and 100gph per hour.
EDIT: For another example for "higher" turnover my 125 gallon tank has around 3000gph+ going through it. Which is a 24 times turnover. Some go a lot higher then that. Flow is good, the only time it's bad is if your fish are basically sticking to the walls LOL :p:eek:

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back