Zoas won't open no matter what I try

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you found your issue with your zoas yet? I have some that have all closed for a round a week now, they have been In the tank for 3 years, I've added nothing new stock wise for over a year and a half. The only thing I notice is my hermit crabs using them as a climbing wall as the zoas that are struggling are on my rear filter box. I don't know if this is the issue or not. Iodine seems like it could be low, as I don't do very frequent water changes to replace it. Let us know if you find the solution.
No your iodine level. Bring iodine level to .05 to .06 ppm. Zoas need iodine trace. My dkh is 8. Sg 1.026. Calcium 430. P04 .037 to .1. I have t0 dise 2 drops a week. Us my small daily water changes.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to leave mine for a bit and keep doing a few water changes. I tested my tank today.
Temp 78.4
Alk 9.5dkh
Calcium 420
Mag 1325
Po4 0.03 or just over (salifert)
No3 10
Ph 8.1
I don't have an iodine test kit
Sg 1.026

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your numbers look ok. You may be interested in reading thread "zoas not opening solved", bu Terry Mattson. They say zoas are easy to keep but I once struggled to the point of giving up on them. Did everything thing is the sun to make them happy. Then a owner of a public and commercial aquarium business told me to check my iodine trace levels. The rest is history. Hopefully your zoas will open soon.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back