Zoas: zooxanthellae: oxygen & pH

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I don't claim to be a chemist.....

But I am reading from research that zoanthid tissues are IRRITATED by the build up of oxygen. And the RELEASE of this oxygen helps produce MORE zooxanthellae algae that allows zoas to grow more tissue and have brighter colors.

So here's the $64,000 question:

Higher pH numbers I'm assuming means there is MORE dissolved oxygen in the water column....

So does having a higher pH (of 8.2+) mean that its COUNTER PRODUCTIVE to the growth of Zoas? (i.e. less dissolved oxygen produces more zooxanthellae tissue?)

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind linking to that research? I’d be interested to read how this was determined.

JeepinReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think higher pH means higher dissolved oxygen.

Last edited:

Reefthedayaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B
First off I don't claim to be a chemist.....

But I am reading from research that zoanthid tissues are IRRITATED by the build up of oxygen. And the RELEASE of this oxygen helps produce MORE zooxanthellae algae that allows zoas to grow more tissue and have brighter colors.

So here's the $64,000 question:

Higher pH numbers I'm assuming means there is MORE dissolved oxygen in the water column....

So does having a higher pH (of 8.2+) mean that its COUNTER PRODUCTIVE to the growth of Zoas? (i.e. less dissolved oxygen produces more zooxanthellae tissue?)

BINGO am i going to get the answers I've been searching for I'll soon find out

Last edited:

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher pH simply means less H+ ions present in the water column. The main component of hydrogen ions is carbonic acid, which is C02 disolved in seawater. If you have a healthy turf scrubber they can fixate so much C02 out of the water column pH levels can exceed 8.5.
Also, the test equipment we have for reef tanks including probes only crudly measures H+ ion concentration.
The past few years I've fixed a lot of tank issues of my own and for friends by rapidly increasing air turnover at night with simple air stones on lamp timers, and results are often dramatic, especially on smaller tanks with low surface area ratios like cubes. If I stop the night air stone sequence on my shallow zoa gardens I start seeing colonies protest within 48 hours. As to if the massive aeration effect helps level off o2 or C02 or both I'm not sure. pH barely ticks up, but the effect on large palys is dramatic.

Reefthedayaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher pH simply means less H+ ions present in the water column. The main component of hydrogen ions is carbonic acid, which is C02 disolved in seawater. If you have a healthy turf scrubber they can fixate so much C02 out of the water column pH levels can exceed 8.5.
Also, the test equipment we have for reef tanks including probes only crudly measures H+ ion concentration.
The past few years I've fixed a lot of tank issues of my own and for friends by rapidly increasing air turnover at night with simple air stones on lamp timers, and results are often dramatic, especially on smaller tanks with low surface area ratios like cubes. If I stop the night air stone sequence on my shallow zoa gardens I start seeing colonies protest within 48 hours. As to if the massive aeration effect helps level off o2 or C02 or both I'm not sure. pH barely ticks up, but the effect on large palys is dramatic.
If I'm following that right a simple air stone could help the zooxanthellae multiply in coral?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back