Zoo med lowboy un even trim

Daddylonglegs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi im new here first post !
So i am building my first frag tank
so earlier this week i thought that my diy stand was un leveled in the back left corner so i removed the tank and checked stand is perfect ...
Its the tank trim its slitghly shorter on this corner
Now i was told that big issue come from un even or warped Now i was told that big issue come from un even or warped stand and that if its in the aquarium trim itself these type of trim were designed to accomodate those type of issue since its pretty much floating... what do i do ? I cant take it back its drilled.
20220314_005614.jpg
20220314_005603.jpg

OP
OP
Daddylonglegs

Daddylonglegs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also this stand was used for for a paludarium the stand legs will be rebuilt and no longer drilled into the wall

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass is resting in the plastic frame. From a safety perspective you have no issue. The problem will be the water will be slightly skewed and you may or may not be able to put up with that. You can try using a yoga mat under the entire thing to help it to self level.

I'm doing the exact same build except I went with the Nano overflow. I wish I would of moved up a size to the medium.

OP
OP
Daddylonglegs

Daddylonglegs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass is resting in the plastic frame. From a safety perspective you have no issue. The problem will be the water will be slightly skewed and you may or may not be able to put up with that. You can try using a yoga mat under the entire thing to help it to self level.

I'm doing the exact same build except I went with the Nano overflow. I wish I would of moved up a size to the medium.
If there no safety issue i will put up too a 2mm skewed water it only seem visible if i really try to look at it its honestly not that bad imo.
ive been putting 3k+ just in the last week for the multiple ai 16hd led and custom sump &skimmer im already way over the initial budget .

And you should be fine with the small eshopps eclipse as long as you can adjust the gph of the return pump i went with bigger because im counting on that only for the flow in my tank so i went with an overkill return pump.

fishgutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoo Med low boys are not the highest of quality tanks when built correct. I bought two low bows recently. One of them had the same issue. I was able to return it. If it were up to me I would not put water in that tank. There will be some uneven load on the glass for sure. Not a lot as these tanks are not deep, but still there. If it were me the price to replace it is far less than the potential disaster of 50 gallons of salt water on the floor.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank too and I think it was also a little wonky but I put some squishy foam around the perimeter and it's been fine for over a year now. Yours looks a bit extreme, so some 1/2" white styrofoam might be advised, or the yoga mat sounds like a good suggestion. I agree with fishgutz, the quality is not great on these. The silicone in mine looks like a 5 yr old did it.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of seems to be a normal occurrence with these tanks. The surrounding trim is installed with silicone and isn't always flat as it should be.

As others have said, You can use a yoga mat or closed cell foam between the stand and framing material.

Personally, this is not an issue I would be worried about.

OP
OP
Daddylonglegs

Daddylonglegs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank too and I think it was also a little wonky but I put some squishy foam around the perimeter and it's been fine for over a year now. Yours looks a bit extreme, so some 1/2" white styrofoam might be advised, or the yoga mat sounds like a good suggestion. I agree with fishgutz, the quality is not great on these. The silicone in mine looks like a 5 yr old did it.
Agree I actualy did better silicone seams on tank i built or resealed when i was a teenager with questionable skills lol.
It's kind of seems to be a normal occurrence with these tanks. The surrounding trim is installed with silicone and isn't always flat as it should be.

As others have said, You can use a yoga mat or closed cell foam between the stand and framing material.

Personally, this is not an issue I would be worried about.
Anxiety level just dropped drastically.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree I actualy did better silicone seams on tank i built or resealed when i was a teenager with questionable skills lol.
Agreed. The production leaves a bit to be desired but for what they are and the price point they are offered, I think consumers still get a decent bang for their buck. If the glass was one size thicker, I would probably have a few

OP
OP
Daddylonglegs

Daddylonglegs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. The production leaves a bit to be desired but for what they are and the price point they are offered, I think consumers still get a decent bang for their buck. If the glass was one size thicker, I would probably have a few
Yes most people will not buy these as their main display and will be used as frag tank so aesthetics dont matter as much in this case i guess ! For me it will be somewhat as my main display since all i will be doing is propagating my nems and frags and housing a mandarin and my red dragonet hence why i went with custom sump with large refugium.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes most people will not buy these as their main display and will be used as frag tank so aesthetics dont matter as much in this case i guess ! For me it will be somewhat as my main display since all i will be doing is propagating my nems and frags and housing a mandarin and my red dragonet hence why i went with custom sump with large refugium.
How large? Can you beat mine? 40 Breeder for the sump on my 55G frag :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back