ZP Darwinism...

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just me talking....

Lately I have been collecting a good bit of ZPs. Many of which didn't even make it home because of fresh cuts and improper handling. (THAT REALLY TICKS ME OFF)

BUT, I rarely ever mention anything to the seller. I just take my hit and move on because I know it'll be a never ending battle with bad blood. There are now a certain few vendors/individuals that I will not buy from again.

That is the point of my posting. Here is the point:

When I do have healthy and stable polyps in my tank, sometimes there are a few that just don't do well and melt away. Maybe I move them around too much, maybe I don't have enough flow, whatever the reason is it just doesn't work out. (fruit loops give me the worst time!)

Anyhow, my point is, I don't fret anymore over the loss of polyps. 25pp even 50pp; just not an issue for me anymore. The way I see it, if it didn't survive in my tank, it wasn't mean't to be in my care. The most expensive polyp i've lost was a $200 bowser. I really didn't twitch. It sucks and I won't try it again but it's whatever. As of late, if one dies on me, I say oh well.

How do you guys fare when losing ZPs? Even the ones you covet the most or owned for a long time?

(Just a few additions)

IMG_0309.jpg
IMG_0325.jpg
IMG_0332.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg
IMG_0409.jpg

Jing_xoxo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really only collect zoas. When I lose one, i like to do immediate replacements. I also try not to buy things on the steeper side and let my patience stew until they start coming at a price range im comfortable losing, incase they melt. Im sorry for your losses. I try to balance out the pp by getting packs instead, but I think the most I spent was 50$pp for a scarface morph.

I forgot to add that I try to keep my collection to a place where I can look at every type I have and keep a good eye on it.

Last edited:

evan.lundberg4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've pretty much given up on the zoas really. I've never had any manner of luck with them for whatever reason. I've tried everything to with them but they just don't do well.

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm I would deff twitch if $200 disappeared overnight.

And due to risks, I no longer buy expensive zp I just buy pretty ones.

The problem I have with them is in my 100gal tank I just can't see them up close enough to enjoy like I want to.

Also do u have a list of retailers that you trust to order them from?

OP
OP
BBoley24

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jing: I'd like to think that I adhere to the "wait til they're cheaper" gig but sometimes I find myself in too much awe! But you're right about buying in packs. Sometimes I forget which one I lost!

Evan: It's never too late to throw away that chip. Come back to us.

Trigger: The bowser bit the dust in about 3 months. DOING GREAT! Then one day, just started to close up, then no mouth, then skinny stalk, mush. My xanatos are doing that as we speak. But the 30 other types are thriving! I also realize that it depends if they've just been taken from the ocean or from another reefer's tank.

cbrennan4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually share you sentiments on this. I've been collecting zoas for 4 years now and having a zoa melt here and there is just a part of it. The fresh cut maricultured zoas are so frustrating but I'm a glutton for punishment with them because they can be so beautiful. I'll still pay $50-$100 per polyp on some zoas but lately I'll just make the tank pay for it by selling a few frags. That way if they melt, I can tell myself the tank paid for it to lessen the sting haha!

tuna_bullet

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol I definalty feel the pain when I loose a $1000 frag of zoas, even the $5 ones, I have around $50k in zoas if I loose one for no reason other than just melting I try to stay away, that being said I have tried a couple really high end poylps twice...my wife calls the money from zoas monopoly money because she never sees it I just keep buying more to increase my collection....I am just glad I don't collect sticks and chalices...................as far as purchasing zoas there are a couple venders and privates I will not purchase from because of fresh cuts not healed or cutting zoas with no rock under them....scraped and glued just pop off the plugs in a few days from water movement and critters cleaning them and the opening and closing of the zoa.......just my .02

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always taken care of doa's in a package to reefers I've sold to asking as it's not 2weeks later in notice you know lol but I believe everyone in this hobby has lost a frag or 2. I for one have lost a 1k zoa frag just as Vance did and at the end of the day you chalk it up as an L and keep it moving. I have no remorse when I'm at the table gambling Benjamin's so no different in zoAs for me

shawy2510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the same as many of you guys, lost a krakatoa frag & have had some melt on me, its part of keeping zoas.

It can be a little annoying losing frags & I would normally try another polyp one more time if the previous failed but if that died, I would steer clear of them.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the reason why i have never spent more than 50pp on any z/p. Bboley if you don't care for loosing a $200 polyp you have too much money lol. I tell people to be patient eventually everything drops in price or you find the same coral named something else cheaper. Best trick is to buy a bunch of stuff and ask for a bundle discount.

OP
OP
BBoley24

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh wow... here come the big dawgs!

Tuna: Your explanation of how the fresh cuts come off the plugs gave me chills! I have experienced that SO many times!

lps: Who is your accountant??? I want his job.

shawy: Nooo! I was excited to see how yours turned out. It's odd how easily you can take a ZP loss from then on...

JPS: LOL!~ That's the problem! I spend fake money as fast as I record the fake money in my head! The bowser was the only true polyp that I had taken a dive at that was over 30pp. Even then it was 2 years into the craze. Some polyps keep a higher dollar value as some of you can see.

It really is odd because losing ZPs is "such is life". You experience serious pain and tragedy and the truly trivial things in life become less important. Accepting a ZP loss and moving forward has become easier for me to the point where I can look back at some pictures that I had taken and get an itch to get another. That feeling in itself reminds me that the original loss, really wasn't as tragic as you might think. (This thought excludes all spouses!)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 46.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back