How much space behind tank?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve made the mistake of putting a tank too close to a wall, now I wouldn’t put one any closer than 6”.
Like already mentioned just moving it out an extra inch or so seems pointless IMO.

Ef4life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is about 2” max from glass to drywall. It’s not an issue for me, but I did a lot of work to make it work well for my space. I’ve never had to get behind this tank since I made it easy to run or remove wires behind the tank
IMG_0916.jpeg

Leroyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000011735.jpg
my stand I'm build for the new tank has these under it. Rated for 2200# and leveling feet. Tank is 40x35x14 so not to much weight.

Ef4life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000011735.jpg
my stand I'm build for the new tank has these under it. Rated for 2200# and leveling feet. Tank is 40x35x14 so not to much weight.

The only problem I see is if your stand has ANY amount of flex - it will flex the stand as it rolls over the floor, in turn distorting the tank. Floors are not nearly flat or level 99% of the time, it could be a major stress event on the tank every time you move it.

Leroyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I see is if your stand has ANY amount of flex - it will flex the stand as it rolls over the floor, in turn distorting the tank. Floors are not nearly flat or level 99% of the time, it could be a major stress event on the tank every time you move it.
I built the stand out of 3/4" plywood with 5" braces. I wouldn't move it full id drain atleast 40g out to make it half full.

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm putting a new tank in a corner where I only have about 50"of width. I bought a tank with an internal overflow and only 20" width. My plan is to get it as close as possible to the wall and still put my arm behind it. My only concern is that my electrical outlet would also be behind it and I plan on replacing it with a GFCI one. My delimna is what if I need to replace the GFCI for whatever reason.

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting a new tank in a corner where I only have about 50"of width. I bought a tank with an internal overflow and only 20" width. My plan is to get it as close as possible to the wall and still put my arm behind it. My only concern is that my electrical outlet would also be behind it and I plan on replacing it with a GFCI one. My delimna is what if I need to replace the GFCI for whatever reason.
I’m not an electrician by trade but have worked with a few. It’s my understanding that if you put a gfci outlet anywhere on the run, then all the outlets after the gfci work as a gfci.
Unless I’m wrong, and someone correct me if I am, if you can find an outlet between the one you’re wanting to change and the breaker box, the one behind your tank will work as a gfci.

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m not an electrician by trade but have worked with a few. It’s my understanding that if you put a gfci outlet anywhere on the run, then all the outlets after the gfci work as a gfci.
Unless I’m wrong, and someone correct me if I am, if you can find an outlet between the one you’re wanting to change and the breaker box, the one behind your tank will work as a gfci.
Hmm I think you are correct. I will look into this. This outlet is at the end of the run as well. I know because I recently swapped it out for one with USB ports. I could put the GFCI on the outlet on the adjacent wall.

Ef4life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as someone else posted, you can install a gfci upstream of that receptacle on the same circuit, that way it would protect the downstream outlets.

Another option is use something like a power strip with a gfci that will be accessible inside your stand to reset

Then you can also replace the circuit breaker in the panel with a gfci breaker, you would have to go into the panel and reset it manually.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 116 35.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back