SBB- Spring Fling Blowout

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 16, Members: 13, Guests: 3)

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't have a before pic but the torches circled were crazy extended. Shut off the flow to take a picture and those two receded almost instantly. No effect with the one on the left.
IMG_20240513_215825671~2.jpg
20240514_202925.jpg

Ever seen this? Tentacles looked like they popped!

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say I've seen that
Anything nipping at em?
My torches have done that. See the black stuff on the tip? Ive had 1 bailout and 2 BJD on me. Of my current stock I have only lost the SBB hellfire from bailout, it was around the tin issue time. The 2 BJD were a long while ago.

Currently my HG bright AF has been doing it for 5 or so weeks, including completely deflated. I hit it with cipro 2 weeks ago and it seems to be "healing".

I don't know enough in this arena but that brown crap in place of a tip is bad news bears as far as my experience goes.
1000034175.jpg

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post a pic of the bright AF in the AM. You can see the tips that are in repair. That specific torch from shane was a "anything in the back" at the end of a sale. It had the least flesh of all my SBB torches. It's kinda been struggling since day 1. I'm fairly reserved with resorting to antibiotics but I haven't had much luck waiting out that popped brown tip crap.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My torches have done that. See the black stuff on the tip? Ive had 1 bailout and 2 BJD on me. Of my current stock I have only lost the SBB hellfire from bailout, it was around the tin issue time. The 2 BJD were a long while ago.

Currently my HG bright AF has been doing it for 5 or so weeks, including completely deflated. I hit it with cipro 2 weeks ago and it seems to be "healing".

I don't know enough in this arena but that brown crap in place of a tip is bad news bears as far as my experience goes.
1000034175.jpg
Yes that's what I mean... but real close it's literally ripped tentacles. Like a deflated balloon, rather than brown stuff. More of a hole at the end of the tentacle.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's what I mean... but real close it's literally ripped tentacles. Like a deflated balloon, rather than brown stuff. More of a hole at the end of the tentacle.
Yeah, typically I would see deflated tentacles on and off, then tips that look almost swollen, then shortly after the brown tip crap, then demise if no action. The HG is my first treatment of a torch. I strongly recommend trying cipro on it as there's a ton of anecdotal evidence suggesting cipro helps sick torches.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, typically I would see deflated tentacles on and off, then tips that look almost swollen, then shortly after the brown tip crap, then demise if no action. The HG is my first treatment of a torch. I strongly recommend trying cipro on it as there's a ton of anecdotal evidence suggesting cipro helps sick torches.
You think that was related to the tin?

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say reefer, i enjoy seeing your pieces. I don't say that often.
Little Rascals Awww GIF

Warm and fuzzy, it's my photos of road to billyocean reefkeeping.

You think that was related to the tin?
I chalked it up to tin due to the randomness. That one actually went down hill suprisingly fast. The one next to it (SBB dragon soul) i thought I was going to lose at that time, but now that one looks completely fine.

I don't know enough about torch keeping, I had calcium, potassium, and tin way above range, almost 90x flow, and a gazillion other variables. Sometimes coral just chooses suicide for no good measurable reason.

Are you nutes good? Do ya target feed? I've noticed positive results from reef roid paste but im too lazy to actually do it.

Last edited:

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Little Rascals Awww GIF

Warm and fuzzy, it's my photos of road to billyocean reefkeeping.

I chalked it up to tin due to the randomness. That one actually went down hill suprisingly fast. The one next to it (SBB dragon soul) i thought I was going to lose at that time, but now that one looks completely fine.

I don't know enough about torch keeping, I had calcium, potassium, and tin way above range, almost 80x flow, and a gazillion other variables. Sometimes coral just chooses suicide for no good measurable reason.

Are you nutes good? Do ya target feed? I've noticed positive results from reef roid paste but im too lazy to actually do it.
Yeah the only reason I said that is because my icp test showed elevated aluminum... supposedly not enough for any danger. Spoke to randy Holmes Farley and said it probably came from Reef putty.

I don't target feed. Bit I will try to dip.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the only reason I said that is because my icp test showed elevated aluminum... supposedly not enough for any danger. Spoke to randy Holmes Farley and said it probably came from Reef putty.

I don't target feed. Bit I will try to dip.
My triton had aluminum at 15ug, range up to 60ug. My ATI after massive WC's had it at 14ug, with ideal value of .11ug so I dunno on that one myself.

I haven't done any big WCs since then, tin was at 17ug which is still high but I wanted to give it 3-4 weeks of smaller WC to confirm its trending down and no longer an issue. Maybe I'll send it tmrw.

Def going to be doing them every other month or so on a go forward. It's crazy how fast things can go down hill even when things "look good". Never would have known my salinity probe became intermittent, nor calcium or potassium elevated.

That random desire to send in an ICP saved alot of coral, money and frustration.

Fauna marin has a good break down that I personally reference frequently, if you haven't seen it:
https://www.faunamarin.de/en/knowledge-base/ chemicals > show all

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 16.5%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 57 41.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 19 13.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 33 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.0%
Back