Worried if the Seam is Damaged! Need help

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also aren’t Cade and Plant Aquariums mass manufactured/cookie cutters but I know they do custom tanks too but so does Waterbox and some other larger tank manufacturers it’s all about if you want to spend the money on it.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One side happy about getting new tank and bigger. On the other side, now have to go from scratch, lot of encrusting corals that I have to move. That's the pain now I am even worried
Definitely not starting from scratch, all your livestock and bio media is still golden! Just an early upgrade!

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from the pictures, but it may not be a problem. If the breach is occurring between the glass panes it is a potential problem. If it is just encroaching on the excess silicone within the inside corners, then it is not an issue. I understand the concern with it being a Red Sea, but these tanks usually fail pretty quickly when it happens since as it separates from the glass it puts more stress on the remaining silicone.

OP
OP
SimbaAnto

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from the pictures, but it may not be a problem. If the breach is occurring between the glass panes it is a potential problem. If it is just encroaching on the excess silicone within the inside corners, then it is not an issue. I understand the concern with it being a Red Sea, but these tanks usually fail pretty quickly when it happens since as it separates from the glass it puts more stress on the remaining silicone.
I am going to look at the progression for few days and take a call based on that.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Today I was checking the seam and I see this. I don't know if this is a damaged seam or dust settled somehow.

The Coraline has somehow encroached the seam. Should I be worried.

PXL_20240515_002857991.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20240515_003452171.jpg
Having repaired many tanks, This is one that Will require repair as it is not to be trusted although currently holding water. You can acquire a clear or rubbermaid tub and place all livestock in there for 48-72 hours and im happy to give you instruction of performing an easy repair in which you can restock tank in 48 hours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SimbaAnto

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having repaired many tanks, This is one that Will require repair as it is not to be trusted although currently holding water. You can acquire a clear or rubbermaid tub and place all livestock in there for 48-72 hours and im happy to give you instruction of performing an easy repair in which you can restock tank in 48 hours.
Yes I would need instructions to reseal and give it free locally. But I am still doing an upgrade to Cade 1500 S2. Placed an order with Algae barn.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes I would need instructions to reseal and give it free locally. But I am still doing an upgrade to Cade 1500 S2. Placed an order with Algae barn.
Tied up at work but will send early evening

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the OP has a plan, but just to close the loop on some earlier pricing stuff that was a bit misleading, I had a custom 120 done by Glass Cages less than a year ago. Low iron front panel, and custom overflow. Total cost for the tank was still under a grand.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just chiming in to add that glass cages is not necessarily more expensive than mass produced. I priced out a new tank with Joe and got a quote for an 80 20 stand from another company. I ended up going with a waterbox 330.7 and it was a little more than the custom build would have been. The only reason I didn't go custom was because I didn't feel like doing the DIY plumbing because I suck at it.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Gen 1 Red Sea XXL 750 that had a seem fail after about 40 months, 6 months past the 3 year warrantee. I contacted Red Sea and the replaced the tank and stand with a Gen 2 at no charge. They did ask for invoice, photos of the failure, etc - but all part of the course. I would contact them and see what they can do.

OP
OP
SimbaAnto

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the OP has a plan, but just to close the loop on some earlier pricing stuff that was a bit misleading, I had a custom 120 done by Glass Cages less than a year ago. Low iron front panel, and custom overflow. Total cost for the tank was still under a grand.
My problem was it being available sooner. I see it will take 12 weeks and with this ticking bomb I didn't want to wait

OP
OP
SimbaAnto

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Gen 1 Red Sea XXL 750 that had a seem fail after about 40 months, 6 months past the 3 year warrantee. I contacted Red Sea and the replaced the tank and stand with a Gen 2 at no charge. They did ask for invoice, photos of the failure, etc - but all part of the course. I would contact them and see what they can do.
Nice to know I may try this. Will keep posted. I got this tank in July 2020 from fish direct.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simba

let's do a skip cycle transfer of your existing system, into the new one here on this thread. there are special means and methods you can use to transfer the tank and not kill your stuff, we have a 60 page thread of those moves currently underway. want to plan the move here? you will be able to move the corals and not kill them or bleach them. here's the thread. a few of these tanks were large costly sps systems $$ moved without a hitch, we can do that for your setup too.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
SimbaAnto

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you uys think of this response from Red Sea. I am baffled about few things @vetteguy53081 @Reeferbadness @exnisstech @fishguy242 @Troylee

1. They say its intact and their seam protector strips are preventing the damage - Have no idea what this Seam Protector strips are and how they think its not a problem right now.
2. Despite they say its not damaged to the point of worry, they still want me to monitor and let them know it spreads - At what cost, like untill it breaks and i loose my livestock
3. They can offer me a $826 credit to purchase a new 350 or higher within 90 Days. Not to be used for Red Sea Devices for any future purchase
4. Remove the sticker, cut it half and send them pictures

I am just going to say. Thanks please keep $858 yourself and i am going with Cade. Irony is that i recently bought a Reefer 200XL for my Harem Build. I wish i saw this issue with my Reffer 350 and would have bought something else.

1715876627083.png
1715876627083.png
1715876891060.png

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you search the 1000's of pages of red sea tank breaks, they always do that. don't buy from them.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back