Dan's 8g PiCo Anemone Tank

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so I got this 8g tank as a partial trade and I set it up in plans to move my 2 clowns over and making it an Anemone tank. It has a Beam works light and a mj400 for flow. It the media tray I have bio media and chemi pure elite and some rock rubble from one of my other established tanks. My question is, what kind of lights do anemones need and does anyone have any input on such a small tank? Its a bit different then my 150g for sure lol
uploadfromtaptalk1412103225579.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1412103231708.jpg

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, but how much water are you turning over in an hour? 8 gal might be a little small depending on what type of nem you are adding to it.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a maxi jet 400 so whatever they call for. Can't remember off the top of my head.

And yeah I was looking into RBTA's but someone said they'd be too big so I may stick to mini/maxi/rock nems

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 12 rock nems in my 29... along with a rainbow, watermelon, and cody. The rock nems are so easy to take care of and look lovely as well..
For lighting is concerned... they are all a little different in what they truly like as you know from your larger tank. I find the rock flower and the mini maxi tolerate the same flow and lighting.
You should be fine with what you have over that tank... you might even need to cut it back a little if you can dim it at all

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 12 rock nems in my 29... along with a rainbow, watermelon, and cody. The rock nems are so easy to take care of and look lovely as well..
For lighting is concerned... they are all a little different in what they truly like as you know from your larger tank. I find the rock flower and the mini maxi tolerate the same flow and lighting.
You should be fine with what you have over that tank... you might even need to cut it back a little if you can dim it at all
Unfortunately there's no dimmer on this light. I was considering swapping the light out but not sure on what. Maybe a Kessil? Or a par38? Anemones are new to me so I'm not sure. Do you have a pic of your tank? I'd love to see all those anemones in one tank.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have access to my camera or tank right now, but best I can do right now is link you to my tanks photo album.

i
f you look close at the full tank shot, you can see most of the nems I have in there.

I ha just using a set of T5's for my tank, but I'm also looking at a DIY LED project in the near future.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a pic of the tank.. the one on my page is a month or so old.. lol

I had my wife send me a pic for you :)
for easy reference I circled the see able nems and also gave you a clean picture.

wp_20140930_16_37_04_pro.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 4.43.10 PM.jpg

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't have to do that! Thank you! Tank looks sweet. Hopefully mine will look just as cool when its ready :)

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not sure if the light I have is good enough to support anemones. What would everyone recommend? I'm a beginner when it comes to anemones so I can use all the help I can get. Is an AI Nano overkill? Kessil?

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it didn't take long before my gf kept pestering me saying the clowns didn't have enough room. So I scored a Innovative Marine Nuvo 16g tank. Same depth, just longer. Also has all the necessary spots for media/skimmer/heater etc. And the thing I like the most is it has a spot for the return pump in the back and has 2 output nozzles for directional flow :) cleaned it out yesterday really well. Plan to either put it up tonight or tomorrow.

Mods please change thread title to "Dan's Nuvo 16g"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.6%
Back