Nem ID please

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys (and gals), I'm in need of a solid ID. I can take better pics if needed, but I think these should suffice. I thought gig initially because it has a spotted verrucae, but apparently gigs shouldn't have an orange/brown verrucae. Maybe it's that shade because it needs TLC, or maybe it's because it's a mertens or ritteri, lol...Please help :)

16181948768_9da9de4178_b.jpg

Spots!
16182192220_3988e0b48b_b.jpg

Thanks for your time!!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need acuurate picture of the column. What color is the foot? It may be a S. helianthus. Please take picture under normal light rather than actinic.

OP
OP
J

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN I was impatient and took pics right before I left work, lol...

I'm leaning towards you assessment of the evil evil sun carpet :p The colors are basically white right now with a hint of yellow or green, which screams helianthus.

15753344213_f079f134d2_b.jpg

OP
OP
J

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll second, it looks like a very bleached S. helianthus.

Thanks for chiming in. I'm debating on returning for a refund or putting it in the frag tank (with no fish besides a six line) and just getting a crab or shrimp for him. It's probably a waste of $ to nurse him back to health though?

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've nursed several nems back to health. it takes time and dedication. Is this your first nem? if so it may be too much for you to tackle.
you're going to need to do SMALL feedings to help nurse it back to good health. maybe antibiotics and definitely some supplements.

i usually soak DICED shrimp in aquavitro fuel and feed every other day pieces smaller than the anemones mouth when closed.

Trex & BroncosZOA i would appreaciate your input here.

OP
OP
J

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've nursed several nems back to health. it takes time and dedication. Is this your first nem? if so it may be too much for you to tackle.
you're going to need to do SMALL feedings to help nurse it back to good health. maybe antibiotics and definitely some supplements.

i usually soak DICED shrimp in aquavitro fuel and feed every other day pieces smaller than the anemones mouth when closed.

@Trex & @BroncosZOA i would appreaciate your input here.
Trex is local. I still want to see his tank *drool*

I have a very happy haddoni already and a "few" BTA's, lol...I have a gig I'm nursing back to health, and I do the Petco hunt like a few of us here do. I should have a very healthy gig coming in this week, but I really don't think I should waste time with the Heli if it's going to put the eventual harem at risk.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, I would return it, especially if they sell you that anemone as a Gigantea. If they just sell it as a Carpet, then theya re right. These guy are very hardy but dangeous for fish. Sometime clownfish do get host by it, especially Clarkii.

OP
OP
J

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atlantic Carpet Anemone

Petco is notorious for selling these

Thanks!! They'll hear from me at lunch :)

If you can, I would return it, especially if they sell you that anemone as a Gigantea. If they just sell it as a Carpet, then theya re right. These guy are very hardy but dangeous for fish. Sometime clownfish do get host by it, especially Clarkii.

If I didn't mind risking a awesome clown, I might have experimented, but not this go-around. I will definitely try and return, otherwise, I'll just put it on the counter and run :)

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. The new tank as least has 5 fish in it, still need to move the blue S. haddoni over.

I don't think it would be a waste of $ to bring it back to health. Just will take acclimating it to your lights, good water parameters, some feedings.

The frag tank idea sounds like a good one. At worse, take the time to bring it back. If you don't want it than, should be able to find someone to take it. Just worry that bringing it back might stress it more than it can take at the moment.

OP
OP
J

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. The new tank as least has 5 fish in it, still need to move the blue S. haddoni over.

I don't think it would be a waste of $ to bring it back to health. Just will take acclimating it to your lights, good water parameters, some feedings.

The frag tank idea sounds like a good one. At worse, take the time to bring it back. If you don't want it than, should be able to find someone to take it. Just worry that bringing it back might stress it more than it can take at the moment.

You're no good convincing me to keep him. I don't want it to die, so I'll just frag tank him till he's better, then re-evaluate his being in the scheme of things. On a related note...any good inverts for him? ;)

When it gets warmer, and when you get tired of your nems, maybe I'll come by and snag one, hehehehe Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're no good convincing me to keep him. I don't want it to die, so I'll just frag tank him till he's better, then re-evaluate his being in the scheme of things. On a related note...any good inverts for him? ;)

When it gets warmer, and when you get tired of your nems, maybe I'll come by and snag one, hehehehe @Trex

Ha. good.

Think a crab would be nice --- I really miss mine; was in my green S. haddoni for 3+ years.

Going to be getting rid of 2 red E. quads, and a (( MAYBE )) green M. doreensis as soon as I transfer the rest of the livestock out of the 75 --- BTAs take up too much rock work space. ;)

OP
OP
J

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha. good.

Think a crab would be nice --- I really miss mine; was in my green S. haddoni for 3+ years.

Going to be getting rid of 2 red E. quads, and a (( MAYBE )) green M. doreensis as soon as I transfer the rest of the livestock out of the 75 --- BTAs take up too much rock work space. ;)

I have 5 BTA's that I can't part with. They're way sexy. Idk if I'd LTA in this tank, but I'll squeeze as much as will keep a few clowns happy.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feel bad that my current part are being hosted by the corner --- they were in a BTA when they were in my 40 (( took that down too, for the 210 )). I know the female (( perc )) would be hosted by the LTA or my S. haddoni (( just going by its past track record )). Not sure about the male (( B&W Oce. )). Leaning towards moving both and deciding what to do later on.

OP
OP
J

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feel bad that my current part are being hosted by the corner --- they were in a BTA when they were in my 40 (( took that down too, for the 210 )). I know the female (( perc )) would be hosted by the LTA or my S. haddoni (( just going by its past track record )). Not sure about the male (( B&W Oce. )). Leaning towards moving both and deciding what to do later on.

They'll sort themselves out; who doesn't like the corner?!

Since this is the right area for these pics, and mostly because I need to cheer myself up about buying an atlantic evil, enjoy :)

16153832216_ae43d79158_b.jpg

16177766491_e824f6e4b2_b.jpg

16091119357_3678d36983_b.jpg

My green Haddoni (crappy cellphone pic) :)

16085911540_af5e217cab_b.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back