Talking about putting your foot in your mouth...what is my clam doing!?

Chrissy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have posted this on a couple of other forums and no answers yet...maybe you guys can help?
I have a little blue squamosa that has been doing great...it still looks fine actually, except it's sticking it's foot out of it's intake siphon. Has anyone seen this?

[/QUOTE]

Chompers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really strange. There are a lot of innards in the way of the foot and the syphons. I didn't think that was really possible.

Chompers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chrissy, your clam actually looks like a blue maxima rather than a squamosa. The color pattern is correct for a squamosa, but the clam appears elongated like a maxima. The incurrent syphon also appears to be smooth rather than having pronounced tentacles. They should be larger than your derasa's syphon tentacles (with respect to each clam's size) and should be branched on the ends. Those details don't show up in your pictures, but have a closer look for a better identification.

For the longest time, I thought my blue maxima was a squamosa. But alas, it's syphon is a smoothie.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm positive it's a Squamosa. I had one just like it and I've seen lots of them with similar mantle coloration.

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what did you figure out? my new maxima is doing this and this thread is the only reference to it I can find in the internet. Kinda freaks me out.

billrob71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Blue Squammy

I have seen the foot do that before on clams, it will go back when it wants it too.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to wonder if the clam would continue to do this if it's place on a soild substrate like a rock or tile. How exactly to clams bore into rock? I believe Squamosa are rock boring.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back