feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good looking stand love how you sided it and the molding will fit well god luck

Thanks. Didn't get around to getting the trim on this weekend, but hoping to do it this coming weekend. Once I have the trim on I can measure for doors to make they fit nice. Might have to do 1/2" overlay though.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Super nice!

Shamus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Did you go with the reef savvy? What size?

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Did you go with the reef savvy? What size?

Thanks, still a long way to go, but yes, I'm going with the Reef Savvy. Tank dimensions will 24x24x20. It will have a 16" external Ghost overflow and the Phantom bottom, 3 sides low iron glass, and blacked out rear. I'm also having it drilled for a 3/4" return in the rear glass.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised here's some pics of the stand nearly complete. Just need to measure and order doors then I can play with some of the scraps I saved to see how I need to go about staining it once I've sanded. Also need to fill in last bit of nail holes before I do any of that. For my first DIY stand I'm quite pleased with how things have turned out thus far. Hopefully I'll do as good of a job with finishing it. Still going with a two-tone finish with some or all of the top trim stained with a walnut and the rest of the stand stained with a golden oak.

stand4.jpg

stand5.jpg

stand1.jpg

stand3.jpg

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about switch salt mixes with the new tank. I really like the ESV salt from what I've read about it, but at $85 a box I've always been a little gun shy. I won't start the tank up with it because when it starts cycling I'm planning to follow TBA's instructions and do the water changes to minimize the impact to the life on the rock I paid for. So once the tank is cycled I'm going to switch over to it doing 10% water changes weekly and just keep rolling with it. Aside of any need for huge water changes in emergenies at 10% a week a 200 gallon box should last about 40 weeks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about dry equipment placement and I'm not sure this will work with my plumbing plans but I'm considering a slide out equipment board similar to a slide out pot rack I've seen in some kitchens. Whats holding me back on this idea is I'd like to build this into the backside of the stand. It would look sort of like a drawer turned on its side and slide out on drawer rails. I can see pulling it off if only use a single drain but would like to use two one for the drain and another for emergency. The stand is 25" wide and built to fit a 24x24x20 tank which will have N external ghost overflow. I dont want to add too much depth to the stand so I'm still thinking on how to pull this off if I stick to having and emergency drain since the over flow is 16" wide.

Shamus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan. It will be interesting to see how you pull it off.

Shamus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would work and look good. Its tough working with a small stand

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice job on the stand. Tagging along to see this turn into an awesome reef!

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still thinking on the slide out idea, but I did pick up a few things to give the stand some color today. As I mentioned I do plan to go with a two-tone stain. Here are the two colors I'm going to be using on a piece of scrap. The dark is a new color by MinWax called Espresso and the other is Golden Oak. This doesn't show how I intend to stain the stand. I'll just wait and show the finished product for that. :tongue: Anyway I don't plan to stain until I get the doors and few other things done. Still thinking on whether I want to poly coat or use a varnish.

sample.jpg

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised this turned out as well as it did on the scrap, but this is what the top trim will look like.

stainedtoptrim.jpg

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 42 40.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back