feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, isn't there any hardware stores that supplies wood? and veneers? in ur area

A lot of the wood was purchased local for the frame and skin, but I wasn't able to find any trim I liked local so I got it online from Baird Brothers. The veneer I picked up online for $53 shipped for a 2x8 sheet. Then I bought another 2x3 sheet for the front which didn't arrive looking so good. The doors were also purchased online as well for a nice price.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the veneer finished and stained, doors on to get idea what its going to look like. I have not put a finish coat on yet since I plan to add the equipment slide out cabinet to the rear and still need to put the corner trim back on the front of the stand. I'm having some second thoughts on the way the trim is stained and may make some changes after seeing everything together. In the meantime I'm going to think on it and play with the scrape pieces I stained to see what my options are if I do decide to make changes.

The last I heard from Rick my sump is almost complete so I'm guessing I'll be seeing the finished product soon. Also seeing the new Gen3 Radions I'm contemplating purchasing one, but need to find out if this generation is compatible with the Apex WXM. I plan to purchase most of the equipment next month. Pretty much everything but the return pump, skimmer, and fuge light and a few odds and ends I'm probably forgetting. I already have the materials for the canopy, but with the weather lately and having a cold/flu or not sure I haven't started on it yet. I still need to complete the design for the equipment slide out and need to purchase materials for this as well. Anyway here's a pic of the stand so far.

photo-5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely want to see how you do the cabinet. I've got my stand built and doors done. Just need to sand and paint.

If I don't change anything with the stain and leave it as is I'm wondering how its going to look with the canopy. I'm planning to continue with the dark/light on the canopy wihich will be at least 9" off the rim of the tank. With the dark/light stain I'm kind of wanting to go with more dark stain and just a light stain stripe around the canopy similar to the top trim. Just not sure yet how its all going to look together which is why I'm having second thoughts on the stain with the stand's trim. The doors and main portion I do want to stay with the Golden Oak, but I'm wondering if the flow is going to really look how I'm trying to visualize it all together and if maybe a little less dark stain on the stand may look better with the overall flow of the color between the stand and the canopy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I'm not too keen on the idea of having to bleach the trim if I start monkeying around with the dark stain on the trim. Sanding it and all that alone will be a huge mess and a pain. Seeing that bleach would require water to neutralize it I'm not so keen on that idea because I don't want that near the PSA veneer.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an awesome stand! What are the inside dimensions, and dimensions of the stand? Thanks!

The frame was built from 2x4s at 24 x 24 x 30. Technically the stand is 30.5" tall. The actual outside dimensions are 24.5 x 24.5 x 31 - not including the trim. The inside dimensions are 24 x 24 x 26 roughly. Corners have 2x4s. My sump was built to be 20.5 x 22 x 15. The front door way is 21" wide which is where I will slide the sump in from.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inside needs one last coat of paint, but here's an idea of the inside.

photo-6.jpg

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Looks really nice Rob!

Thanks man. The sump should look nice once it's inside. I haven't cut any holes in the rear yet, but plan to do that once I have the sump. Hoping to get the canopy done soon. This weather hasn't been the best for working outside.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didnt get as much done on the canopy as I had hoped. All I have done is a basic frame. Once I have the fixture I should be able to get the rails on and then the trim. All goes well that will happen this weekend.

vyru2ybe.jpg

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the weather I'm hoping to get some more work done on the canopy this weekend. Light fixture and tank controller finally arrived safe and sound today along with the corner trim for the front of the stand.

epe8usam.jpg

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be a top notch build with all those goodies! Getting close, need to get that stand and canopy done :p

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet build! The stand looks awesome man! And let me know how you like the radion! Subscribed

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be a top notch build with all those goodies! Getting close, need to get that stand and canopy done :p

I still need to order the last of the wood too, but with the way the weather has been I'm worried about warping. The corner trim was slightly warped when I looked at it this morning. I think its still usable though. Also I pulled the Radion out of the box. Its pretty sweet and very bright, but since it hasn't been hooked up to the computer yet I guess not much can do with it until I play with the configuration. Canopy shouldn't take much more work. Still need to figure out what kind of tubing to use to attach it to the stand. I want to just use 1 piece so I can spin it out of the way when needed, but it needs to be sturdy. I'd freak if I came home to find it in the tank.

Back