OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job Rich ! Dude that valorG piece is sick man can't wait to see it as a colony .

Yea. It really has insane color. Best acro I've seen in a long time. Hopefully this grows out with no problems. I gave it a great spot in the tank.

Amazing tank!!! I'd love to pick up some frags from you. Let me know if you have any for sale. What part of NY are you in if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you very much! :) I'm not actually fragging and selling most pieces. I want to grow large colonies of all my nice stuff first. I frag sporadically to avoid shading and touching when I can. I am located in Queen, NY.

As always an amazing update!!! I'm shocked at the growth of the ASD Millie!

Thanks Darren. I appreciate the frag. Growth in this tank has been fast all over if I give a coral a good spot and don't touch it.

. MH brother lololol

Yup. MH got a bad wrap as being inefficient. The spread and penetration make them very efficient on tanks that utilize this..... such as my cube which is lit brightly with one halide. I still think T5 is just as important to have to eliminate shadows that any point source light can create.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG Rich, what changes! New skimmer and some pruning! lol The shrimp are beautiful!! I'm sure the r planet frag wll be back to colony size in no time the way you grow the sticks! That valorG is stunning! Beautiful color!!!

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome update Rich. I have relatives in Queens. Would love to see your tank in person if I visit USA again! :)

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG Rich, what changes! New skimmer and some pruning! lol The shrimp are beautiful!! I'm sure the r planet frag wll be back to colony size in no time the way you grow the sticks! That valorG is stunning! Beautiful color!!!

Thanks Terri :) I Might change that red table out to a superman table frag. I don't know if I have the patience to grow out the same frag again lol.

::Jaw drops::

Always good to see pictures.! Good ones at that!!!!

This tank in person is top notch, rich deff knows what he is doing!!.

Thanks Rob. How's that Tennis doing for you. The bellina is a cool frag. It's growing. I'll get a pic later.

Awesome update Rich. I have relatives in Queens. Would love to see your tank in person if I visit USA again! :)

Thanks Sahin. If? You must come visit again :) I would love to have you by. MSHUR live close buy. I'm sure he would like to meet you a well.

Cant get enough! Beautiful! Is your tank custom made or you bought it a the store?

Thanks! Yes it's custom made by Reefomania. He's very popular by me for custom tank builds. Impeccable work.

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again s2nhle. My maintenance is nothing special. If I didn't have to feed the fish everyday it would actually be a low maintenance reef. I attribute this to the various bacterias dosed. I don't run gfo and hardly run carbon.

Maintenance includes:
- Feed fish 2x-3x daily. A variety of frozen, flakes, and pellets
- 18g water change every 2 weeks
- clean glass every 4-5 days
- dose prodibio every 2 week
- dose microbe-lift special blend every 2 weeks (alternating weeks with prodibio)
- change filter sock every 5 days or so.
- Fill 2 part containers every month.

What's this microbe - lift u speak of ? :confused: Kinda curious so I looked it up and there's several brands . What do u use ? Thank s

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's this microbe - lift u speak of ? :confused: Kinda curious so I looked it up and there's several brands . What do u use ? Thank s

Microbe-Lift is the company, I use their "Special Blend" and "Nite-Out II". I follow directions on bottle, don't forget to add 50% more as suggested for saltwater.

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh right on . Thanks . I'm newer to the hobby so I'm just trying to soak it all up like a sponge . I have a 93 cube and am planning some changes for in the near future . Like adding my first acros so I'm just trying to learn as much as possible . Thanks a lot and love your thread . Tank looks amazing !

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, i love the pair of shrimps. The sps are really show their color.

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rich, I'm in discussion with a member on NR. He made this observation/comment which got me curious to research more. Please share your thoughts:
"Based on my observations of my own tank, other "high" nutrient tanks, and the ULNS tanks I've recently been looking at,
with higher nutrient levels, higher alk and calc levels are needed while at lower nutrient levels, closer to NSW levels are needed. "

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh right on . Thanks . I'm newer to the hobby so I'm just trying to soak it all up like a sponge . I have a 93 cube and am planning some changes for in the near future . Like adding my first acros so I'm just trying to learn as much as possible . Thanks a lot and love your thread . Tank looks amazing !

I think it's great that you're learning from other tanks and making your own decisions. When you read articles, and scientific data only, you usually end up making the wrong decisions. Too many people trying to make $$ your expense. Glad I could help.

wow, i love the pair of shrimps. The sps are really show their color.

Thanks. I don't see these shrimps too often, but when I do, they are eating asterina stars :)

Fantastic tank and pictures.

Thank, Most pics are taken with an iPhone 5+6 in a top down viewer.

Hey Rich, I'm in discussion with a member on NR. He made this observation/comment which got me curious to research more. Please share your thoughts:
"Based on my observations of my own tank, other "high" nutrient tanks, and the ULNS tanks I've recently been looking at,
with higher nutrient levels, higher alk and calc levels are needed while at lower nutrient levels, closer to NSW levels are needed. "

Hey Kat, yes I believe the same thing. 10-15 years ago, we all had dirty tanks compared to today. It was common to run all from 10-12dkh to increase growth. If you ran 7-d dkh your corals were at a standstill. I see the same with my current tank. I stay @ 9.0-9.5 DKH in this tank to keep good growth.If I drop down to 8DKH I know it just from looking. My growth tips will start to disappear on certain coral.
Looking back at my old 34 solana which was ULN, I ran the DKH in the 8's mostly. I wish I added more fish and fed that tank more :squigglemouth:

HOT REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
955 Connecticut Ave #3101, Bridgeport, CT
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob here is the bellina frag from you. I like this piece. Thanks
IMG_1817 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

What!! That thing looks like it's starting to take off! Take care of it!

As the OG colony is not around anymore from ORA. Looks really nice. Can't wait to see it thrive and grow into a nice colony in your beautiful system!.

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426303060.916921.jpg

I have a similar acro but was told it was an ORA chips.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426303109.872305.jpg

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found you here on R2R Rich! Did you decide what to replace the Dropcam with? I'll soon be in the market for a camera like that. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back