Jackson's 115 Gallon Custom Cube 32x32x26

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rich absolutely stunning. Happy for you, the hard work is paying off.

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kat with the bacteria dosing, most of the sps become pretty fuzzy eventually. Especially with the nutrient level rises. Next time I see you I'll give you a cut of that plana. Consider it a belated birthday present :)
You're utterly spoiling me now. Your generosity is much appreciated and I hope to have a chance to reciprocate soon.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at every picture Rich as soon as you posted them. My delay in responding is I had to go to the ER for oxygen because hyperventilating o. Then they noticed my eyes were dilated so they gave me... Then they did heart surgery and did a implant....... All this occurred because of looking at your sticks! ***** Seriously, I can't put into words how magnificent your corals are! Your 'center piece' is overwhelming to look at! The stylo and setosa are just as beautiful, as are the others! They literally are breathtaking! Thank you so much for taking all those pictures and naming most of them! If I ever get to the point of feeling that I can keep SPS's in such good condition, I'll be in line for frags :=) I'll wait for the video as I need a little more recovery time anyway! lol

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great Rich...where are you keeping the pearlberry lighting wise?

Thanks :) It's a little more than halfway up in my tank, getting about 400 par.

Wow man you have such a vivid tank. Great job and thanks for sharing with us!

Thank you. Glad you like it.

Rich absolutely stunning. Happy for you, the hard work is paying off.

Thanks Joe. Wish I could have made it to your place today. I injured myself pretty good and I'll be out of commission for a while. I must get this frag into your tank soon. :)

You're utterly spoiling me now. Your generosity is much appreciated and I hope to have a chance to reciprocate soon.

You're tank will be packed with growth before you know it :)

I looked at every picture Rich as soon as you posted them. My delay in responding is I had to go to the ER for oxygen because hyperventilating o. Then they noticed my eyes were dilated so they gave me... Then they did heart surgery and did a implant....... All this occurred because of looking at your sticks! ***** Seriously, I can't put into words how magnificent your corals are! Your 'center piece' is overwhelming to look at! The stylo and setosa are just as beautiful, as are the others! They literally are breathtaking! Thank you so much for taking all those pictures and naming most of them! If I ever get to the point of feeling that I can keep SPS's in such good condition, I'll be in line for frags :=) I'll wait for the video as I need a little more recovery time anyway! lol

Terri ann, I always appreciate your interest in my tank, and I'm glad that you pulled through the heart surgery ;). If I could ever help with your SPS keeping you know where to find me :)

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rich! I have a friend who runs PO4 at .03 and NO3 at 5ppm religiously. I get SPS frags from her but they always turn brown and die:0( That was in my 135 so I hope the 180 will be better. I think the problem is my PO4. Hopefully the 180 will keep a steady PO4 then I can see how SPS's do in the tank. I have gotten to my wits end with trying them :9( I love SPS's!! I never have algae in the tanks but the SPS's sure don't live:9( Frustrating to say the least....

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to Rowaphos:0) Used to use BRS's but I "think" I am liking the Rowaphos better. Time will tell! My friend is a skimpy feeder but she recently started using R.S. Coral Color program so I'm wondering if her nutrient levels have gone up or if she's changing out GFO more often or increased her weekly WC amount?!! lol. She's good with SPS's but you have her beat, hands down! She has never had good polyp extension!

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terri, Just be Careful with ROWA, it's a lot more potent than phosban, and BRS stuff. I only use 6 tablespoons for my 130g water volume. I haven't had to use it in a while thanks to prodibio, but when I do it lowers po4 very fast.

+1 Beautiful display.

Thank you very much :)

Last edited:

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that Rich:0) Hopefully the Rowa will work for me. Slow and steady is hard for me because I'm just impatient. My PO4 jumps around more than a cricket! I'm working on it though :0)

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rich, I looked at the tonga branches you used for your rockwork way back. How did you glue the branches in place for the structure?

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kat, the branches were never glued. The base rock is a couple of heavy pieces of marshall island rock which has big holes all around it. I wedged branches in the holes and gaps in the rock. That's all. It's pretty secure.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank.

Thank you :)

I changed a few things over the last month. Due to the ever rising nutrient level in the tank :) , I decided to upgrade skimmers from the Skimz SM 203 to a Bubble king 200mini RD3. Needless to say, but the BK is insane. I only run it 80% and it easily pulls double the amount of what the skimz did. Super happy with this change.
IMG_1556 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

I did suffer a painful coral loss :( My big red table in the middle started to stn on the shaded parts. I eventually chopped it up and sold most of it off. I'm regrowing from a frag now. Actually, the whole left side of my tank was rescaped to avoid shading. Anything getting shaded for a month or so would show a little base stn
The symmetry in the overall look has suffered, but I think in coming months this will be a big improvement. I also did remove a few large more common colonies.

PS Kat I didn't forget about you. Temps were too cold to ship. I think that will change this week ;)

Here are a few pics from last night.

ORA Blue Iris
IMG_1658 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Kres's Purple Nana
IMG_1655 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Wild Shortcake that I grew out
IMG_1654 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Aqua SD Milli from Dnov99
IMG_1648 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

ValorG acro. Sick Sick piece. Grow!!!!!
IMG_1652 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Tyree PM
IMG_1663 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Harlequin Pair
IMG_1473 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Here is the view from a Dropcam PRO. I have since returned this piece-o-crap. HD should not even be in the same paragraph as this camera. Real resolution is about 240p. This is an example of great marketing with a junk product. The only way you can get a somewhat clear image is to place the camera 2 ft from what you want to see. For an overall view, when you zoom in a little, you can't see any detail.

IMG_1491 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Last edited:

kingator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job Rich ! Dude that valorG piece is sick man can't wait to see it as a colony .

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank!!! I'd love to pick up some frags from you. Let me know if you have any for sale. What part of NY are you in if you don't mind me asking?

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As always an amazing update!!! I'm shocked at the growth of the ASD Millie!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back