Sump baffle repair

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does any know how to make repair to baffles on existing sump. The issue is my baffles are coming loose from sump walls. The sump is currently being used and can not be removed from the tank stand.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming they are siliconed in, you are going to have to take the sump off-line, empty the water, dry and scrape off old silicone, resilicone in the baffles, let it cure a couple days, and then refill it.

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of our baffles came loose too a few months back. Our refugium has been running for 2 years so drying it out was not an option.Way too much naturally growing and would probably cause a tank crash for us. I basically reinforced the baffles with glass strips to hold everything square and hold the water pressure. Patience,algae,and pineapple sponges slowly replaced the silicone. unless you have a small sump the pressure on the baffles is quite strong.

OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of our baffles came loose too a few months back. Our refugium has been running for 2 years so drying it out was not an option.Way too much naturally growing and would probably cause a tank crash for us. I basically reinforced the baffles with glass strips to hold everything square and hold the water pressure. Patience,algae,and pineapple sponges slowly replaced the silicone. unless you have a small sump the pressure on the baffles is quite strong.

How did you apply the glass strips? Like your case taking sump off line for a few days is not an option. Your way if the glass can be applied in a manner of fast dry on wet surface, would be great. My other options are a marine weather stripping. Not that great since baffles need to be 1/4 smaller than width. The other option is totally replace old sump. I would have to shatter the sump glass to get it out. New sump same gallon but not as long so it can go through cabinet doors.

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you apply the glass strips? Like your case taking sump off line for a few days is not an option. Your way if the glass can be applied in a manner of fast dry on wet surface, would be great. My other options are a marine weather stripping. Not that great since baffles need to be 1/4 smaller than width. The other option is totally replace old sump. I would have to shatter the sump glass to get it out. New sump same gallon but not as long so it can go through cabinet doors.

I didn't use sealant.The marine weather stripping would have made my job easier. For my situation, the last baffle next to my return gave out. My pump chamber is about 8 inches wide. I cut braces that are wedged perpendicular to the baffle and butt up against the baffle and end of tank. the weather stripping would help it from sliding and pad it from being glass to glass. Our refugium would also have to be broken to remove. Good luck.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back