Recommendation on MH bulbs

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as the title states, I need recommendations on overall quality and value for MH Bulbs. This is going to be my first Dual MH/4 T5 setup. Already convinced with ATIs for the T5s, but I wouldn't mind some recs as well.. But back to it. Would like some info on Ushio and Hamiltons for double ended 150w bulbs. Any one with some first hand experience? Also read some good reviews on, Phoenix 150w 14000k, any one here used them before? From what I've read they have great growth. Found them on eBay for a good price.

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently deciding between pheonix or XM (20,000K) for my MH's. I seem to recall hearing good things about hamilton as well though. Fortunately for me this is one part of the hobby that hasn't changed much in the 4 years I've been out, LOL. I run dual 150w HQI double ended bulbs over my 29G (a bit of overkill, but I plan to keep chalices and SPS primarily this time around). Currently running 14K OEM bulbs in my corallife fixture, so most likely hamilton's there. I bought it used from the LFS with about 5 months on the bulb, and have put about 3 months on the bulbs myself. The bulb is starting to show some blacking out, so it's near or at the end of it's life. I haven't had any problems from it though, so no complaints from me. FWIW, that is on HQI ballasts. I'm going to likely end up with pheonix this round just based on cost.. but REALLY want to give the 20K's a try later. Just getting a new tank up and going though so 10-14K makes more sense for growth for my tank at this time :)

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you don't have to do all ATI bulbs.
Geisemann makes the best actinic IMHO, and i prefer the KZ Superblue over the Blue+ because it doesn't have the weird green tint that the blue+ has.
My fixture is currently running one KZ Superblue, two Blue+, and one Gmann Pure Actinic as my dawn dusk and supp to 250w Radiums.
Although i may replace one of the blue+ with another actinic so the two actinics come on first, then the two blues.

OP
OP
G_Sanab922

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently deciding between pheonix or XM (20,000K) for my MH's. I seem to recall hearing good things about hamilton as well though. Fortunately for me this is one part of the hobby that hasn't changed much in the 4 years I've been out, LOL. I run dual 150w HQI double ended bulbs over my 29G (a bit of overkill, but I plan to keep chalices and SPS primarily this time around). Currently running 14K OEM bulbs in my corallife fixture, so most likely hamilton's there. I bought it used from the LFS with about 5 months on the bulb, and have put about 3 months on the bulbs myself. The bulb is starting to show some blacking out, so it's near or at the end of it's life. I haven't had any problems from it though, so no complaints from me. FWIW, that is on HQI ballasts. I'm going to likely end up with pheonix this round just based on cost.. but REALLY want to give the 20K's a try later. Just getting a new tank up and going though so 10-14K makes more sense for growth for my tank at this time :)
True, thanks for the info. I'll most likely go with the Phoenix as well. Can't beat the price on eBay for them. Other bulbs are going for $60+ Since you have some experience with MH, I would love to grow some sps and pretty much all corals, should I stay with this set up I have or change to something else? I got this lighting set up for free, so really I can't go wrong but I know a few people that would buy it off me. Just weighing my options. On my nano I haven't been able to grow sps well since I don't have such a strong lighting, so definitely on this one I plan to do more sps.

OP
OP
G_Sanab922

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you don't have to do all ATI bulbs.
Geisemann makes the best actinic IMHO, and i prefer the KZ Superblue over the Blue+ because it doesn't have the weird green tint that the blue+ has.
My fixture is currently running one KZ Superblue, two Blue+, and one Gmann Pure Actinic as my dawn dusk and supp to 250w Radiums.
Although i may replace one of the blue+ with another actinic so the two actinics come on first, then the two blues.
Ok thanks, i'll check them out. I have heard good things about the KZ Superblue though, i'll look more into it. Thanks again

Steven@

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran two Phoenix DE 14k and one 20k for eight years before switching to Hydra 52s a few months ago... I liked the mixed combo of 14 and 20 K.

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed your question until today! Personally I prefer halides.. and in talking with my LFS, am staying with MH, as I had debated swapping to LED just because of the costs of bulb + electricity... but as they say, it's not cheap to do anything right. They lost quite a few coral swapping over to kessil's, and if they couldn't do it right, I sure as heck don't suspect that I could, LOL.

I had 0 problems with SPS with my dual halides on a 55G tank, so this will definitely handle that for you. 14kK will give better growth, 20kK will give better color and still OK growth :). I prefer the more blue color, so I plan to stick with 20kK.. or perhaps since I'm starting a new tank, 14K for now, then 20K next time It's time for bulbs.. hmmmm tough call.

Personally, I've run T5HO, and MH (even back to back on this tank while it had nothing but rock just because I could), and I prefer the MH's 1,000x to the T5HO

OP
OP
G_Sanab922

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran two Phoenix DE 14k and one 20k for eight years before switching to Hydra 52s a few months ago... I liked the mixed combo of 14 and 20 K.
Hmm sounds good. I like this mixed combo idea. Especially since i'm doing a Caribbean biotope with a variety of SPS. Thanks

OP
OP
G_Sanab922

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed your question until today! Personally I prefer halides.. and in talking with my LFS, am staying with MH, as I had debated swapping to LED just because of the costs of bulb + electricity... but as they say, it's not cheap to do anything right. They lost quite a few coral swapping over to kessil's, and if they couldn't do it right, I sure as heck don't suspect that I could, LOL.

I had 0 problems with SPS with my dual halides on a 55G tank, so this will definitely handle that for you. 14kK will give better growth, 20kK will give better color and still OK growth :). I prefer the more blue color, so I plan to stick with 20kK.. or perhaps since I'm starting a new tank, 14K for now, then 20K next time It's time for bulbs.. hmmmm tough call.

Personally, I've run T5HO, and MH (even back to back on this tank while it had nothing but rock just because I could), and I prefer the MH's 1,000x to the T5HO
Yea that happens, if you don't have them dialed in correctly you can have losses. I completely agree lol That's good, I have a few friends with MH and they have great success too. Well for this build i'm doing, I received 2 MHs and 4 T5s. Got this for free btw... lol So I think I will be happy with this set up. Just need to add a fan and a couple mods. How high do you like to keep yours from the water level?

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that happens, if you don't have them dialed in correctly you can have losses. I completely agree lol That's good, I have a few friends with MH and they have great success too. Well for this build i'm doing, I received 2 MHs and 4 T5s. Got this for free btw... lol So I think I will be happy with this set up. Just need to add a fan and a couple mods. How high do you like to keep yours from the water level?
I keep mine only 4" above, and I'm having trouble with heat soak, but because the unit I have is designed for a 48" tank, if I move it any further up it doesn't cover how I like. A small fan across the top of the water helps significantly with heat from halides I hear. I plan to try that at some point, probably make a small box and use a PC fan

OP
OP
G_Sanab922

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine only 4" above, and I'm having trouble with heat soak, but because the unit I have is designed for a 48" tank, if I move it any further up it doesn't cover how I like. A small fan across the top of the water helps significantly with heat from halides I hear. I plan to try that at some point, probably make a small box and use a PC fan

Oh alright. Yes PC fans will work. I'm going to go with a DIY Dual fan kit from RapidLED.com it's only like $20 I think. It's 4inches in diameter

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a HUGE fan of the Phoenix 14K lamps and if going MH would not use any other. I spent an incredible amount of time emulating this lamp in my DIY LED array and ended up with what I feel is everything good about it less the unwanted Yellow to Green range in spectrum and color shifting/degration inherent with incandescent lamps. If you can find a decent supply at a good price stock up a few replacements ahead, seems like 7-9 months depending on ambient room temps before need of replacement.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
G_Sanab922

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a HUGE fan of the Phoenix 14K lamps and if going MH would not use any other. I spent an incredible amount of time emulating this lamp in my DIY LED array and ended up with what I feel is everything good about it less the unwanted Yellow to Green range in spectrum and color shifting/degration inherent with incandescent lamps. If you can find a decent supply at a good price stock up a few replacements ahead, seems like 7-9 months depending on ambient room temps before need of replacement.

Cheers, Todd

I used phoenix 14k too.
Awesome thanks to both of you for your input. Seems like phoenix is the way to go. On eBay I've found them for about $35 so i'll see if I stock up on them.

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using the Phoenix 14K's with 2 ATI blue + and 2 ATI true actinic. I love the look but I may give some ushio 20k's a try here in the near future. I just seen they went on sale over at Premium Aquatics for 50 a piece! I'm also tossing up the idea of XM20k's also but not sure on those.

OP
OP
G_Sanab922

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using the Phoenix 14K's with 2 ATI blue + and 2 ATI true actinic. I love the look but I may give some ushio 20k's a try here in the near future. I just seen they went on sale over at Premium Aquatics for 50 a piece! I'm also tossing up the idea of XM20k's also but not sure on those.
Nice, how blue is your tank with the Blue+ and true actinic? can you upload a FTS, if you don't mind? I'm looking to do a similar set up. And cool, i'll have to check out that sale.

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an image with the Halides on and T5's

photo.jpg

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Iphone pics show it to be a bit bluer than it actually is. There is a nice blue to it, but I think I want a bit more blue, thats why I'm leaning towards some 20K's

OP
OP
G_Sanab922

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Iphone pics show it to be a bit bluer than it actually is. There is a nice blue to it, but I think I want a bit more blue, thats why I'm leaning towards some 20K's

Very nice looks good. I really like it. Your corals look great as well !

Of course, hate when iPhones do that lol.

What's your lighting schedule if you don't mind?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.5%
Back